What's new
World Wide Stereo

V333ES.... Looking to upgrade (1 Viewer)

Hello all. I am currently the very happy owner of a Sony V333ES AVR. I absoloutly love this thing to death. The sound quality is so amazing on this thing, I almost do not want to get rid of it. The reason I do want to upgrade, is because I have a Zektor 4.1 Component Video/Digital Audio switch for my Wii, PS3, X360, and HDA35. I want to get rid of this, and go HDMI so I can the single cable solution to my TV, and have everything switch through the AVR. I also want to upgrade for the new HD audio codecs.

I was at my local high-end home theater shop and was playing around with the Integra 7.8 recently, but they don't have anymore and they doubt they will be getting anymore in since the 7.9 is on it's way. I haven't seen anything on the 7.9 yet, so I don't know what the major differences are.

I was also looking at the Sony 5300ES, and I really liked that it had 6 HDMI inputs, which gives me plenty of headroom for upgradablility. Now that I'm ready to buy, the 5300ES is no longer available and the only thing they have now is the 4400ES. I've been reading about some major problems that people have been having with the 5300ES, but I also see that it's not all units affected. I've been a loyal fan of Sony equipment for quite a while now so a few issues wouldn't be a problem from me, especially if they do trade-ups and exchanges for damaged equipment.

Anyway, I was posting this for input from fellow board members as to what would be a good choice for and AVR. I'd like to stay around the $1500 limit. Looking for any recommendations, but about the only brand I'm not too fond of is Yamaha. I've tried setting up a few in the past and they were a P.I.T.A.

Thanks!

728x90

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Here's your Sony you wanted:
Amazon.com: Sony STR-DA5300ES ES 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio/Video Receiver: Audio & Video
BTW........all the newer receivers may be a P.I.T.A. because of the new features and settings, with the new HD audio etc. My Yamaha wasn't hard at all to set up, but it's not a higher end receiver.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

A Harmony remote will make life much easier for you. They are very user friendly, including wives. Sam's Club has the model 659 for around $70-$80. I'm pretty sure they don't control the PS3 (don't think any universal remote does), but not sure about the other game consoles.
Good luck with whatever you get.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
With a base requirement of 4 x HDMI 1.3, you have many options at this pricepoint.. Marantz SR7002, Denon AVR-3808CI, Onkyo TX-SR875, Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH, Integra DTR-7.8. I haven't been fond of Sony for many years, but their ES-Series of products have always been excellent.

Now keep in mind that Marantz makes a 6-input HDMI 1.3a switcher, the VS3002, which retails for $349.99. Combine this with the Marantz SR7002, and I'd be shocked if you ever find yourself needing another input. The sound quality is excellent to boot.

What speakers are you driving?

I am driving Polk R150 Fronts and Rears and a Polk CSR Center. I was looking at the Marantz SR7002, and am liking it alot. I just contacted a local dealer by e-mail to see what kind of price they can get it to me, but I also noticed that 6ave has it. I've liked Marantz equipment in the past (still have an ancient Marantz receiver, console type with the wood on the sides and analog tuner dial). Plus I like the look and styling of the Marantz.

How hot does it get? My V333ES gets warm to the touch at about -25dB on the volume. I'm not looking to pick this up today, but hopefully in the next 2 months. Thanks for the quick input!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
My uncle just a built a new custom home theater early this year, which included a Marantz SR5002. Sound wonderful, but it runs very (very!) hot. He has the receiver in a cabinet, but has to open to cabinet when the system is on in order to dissipate the heat. He will be replacing the cabinet door with a screen from the same manufacturer in order to resolve the heat issue.

Suffice to say, I would still highly recommend the 7002, Marantz products are outstanding.

Cool deal. My local dealer just emailed me back and gave me the MSRP price. Doesn't look like I'll be getting it from them. Didn't seem too friendly, just emailed me with the price and nothing more/less.

I'm really leaning toward the Marantz. Now, I haven't read too deeply into the sepcs, but does the SR7002 output everything over HDMI? Like if I hook up my Wii with the component or composite cables, will it still output on the HDMI?

And I currently have a Harmony 659, just don't use it right now as my new equipment rack is being built. Probably going to cut some fan holes in the top to suck the heat off of the Marantz haha.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Yes the 7002 supports full HDMI v1.3a Repeating and Switching, so you can output any non-HDMI sources via HDMI to your set. ;)

Cool deal. After a few hours of researching and reading reviews, I think the SR7002 is going to be the avr of choice. Now, is this a current year receiver or is this last years model? Reason I'm asking, is because I don't want to be ready to buy it and it not exist anymore.

Is there anyplace that I could get it for less than MSRP?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
When it comes to buying electronics there are two rules of thumb... one, don't worry about the next model coming around the corner, there will always be something better just out of reach! Two, last year's model will always be on for a great deal, so why pay a premium for the latest and great?

This year the big fuss was HDMI 1.3a, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, all of which are supported on the Marantz.. the only big features just out of reach are a stronger video processing chip such as Silicon Optix HQV or AnchorBay VRS, but you already have a PS3 and an HD-DVD player, so this is not a huge deal.

As for purchasing for less than MSRP, I would recommend purchasing from an authorized dealer and not from an Internet dealer, in order to keep your manufacturers warranty. Usually the price is negotiable if you have done business in the past at the same hifi store, or are purchasing a full speaker package. I usually count on 10-15% off from my dealer.

Or you can wait for an upcoming model and watch for prices to drop, but I expect these won't be announced until CES in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.