USPS cycling team->Discovery Channel Pro cycling team

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...n04/jun15news3

ya know, this kind of sucks, I hope they don't mess with OLN's coverage of the three major stage races and the spotty US nationals. OLN seems to be 95% bull riding or fishing, but at least they have semi-live stages of the Giro, TdF, and the Vuelta. I can't imagine OLN still carrying cycling of a team whose title sponsor is the owners of the Discovery Channel.

Go Tyler!

Jay

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...n04/jun15news3

ya know, this kind of sucks, I hope they don't mess with OLN's coverage of the three major stage races and the spotty US nationals. OLN seems to be 95% bull riding or fishing, but at least they have semi-live stages of the Giro, TdF, and the Vuelta. I can't imagine OLN still carrying cycling of a team whose title sponsor is the owners of the Discovery Channel.

Go Tyler!

Jay

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I just checked out their home page. They still have a big section devoted to Lance Armstrong and to the upcoming Tour.

And they are still promoting Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwen (and Bob Roll) as reporting (at least on the U.S. Tour website).

Don’t know about the other events.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I just checked out their home page. They still have a big section devoted to Lance Armstrong and to the upcoming Tour.

And they are still promoting Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwen (and Bob Roll) as reporting (at least on the U.S. Tour website).

Don’t know about the other events.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    yeah, well this year OLN is still a small sponsor in the team and USPS is still around, but next year, they'll become the Discover channel. However, Cyclingnews is now reporting something to the effect that OLN will still be a small sponsor and they'll still carry cycling events. But Lance will start to do some health and fitness programs on the Discovery Channels line of stations and OLN will still carry cycling.

My biggest worry is that cycling will move to the discovery channel and they might dumb it down for the masses (like somehow replace Phil and Paul, and to an extent, even Bobke).

Can't believe the Tour is already only like 3 weeks away....

Go Tyler!

Jay

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    yeah, well this year OLN is still a small sponsor in the team and USPS is still around, but next year, they'll become the Discover channel. However, Cyclingnews is now reporting something to the effect that OLN will still be a small sponsor and they'll still carry cycling events. But Lance will start to do some health and fitness programs on the Discovery Channels line of stations and OLN will still carry cycling.

My biggest worry is that cycling will move to the discovery channel and they might dumb it down for the masses (like somehow replace Phil and Paul, and to an extent, even Bobke).

Can't believe the Tour is already only like 3 weeks away....

Go Tyler!

Jay