What's new

Using Separate amp's w/ a Denon 3803 (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Eric,

You could do exactly what you ask. Run the Front 3 and L/R surrounds off the 5-channel amp and the Rear 2 surrounds off the receiver.

You would have to recalibrate everything with the db meter. You would use the receivers' level controls for each channel to set their proper levels; no differently than when running all channels off the receiver.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
My receiver (Denon 2700) has only 3 pre-outs so even though I have a 5 channel amp, I can use only 3 of them (for the fronts and center) and use the receiver to power my 2 rear speakers. I wish there was some way to tap into the unused 2 amp channels for my front speakers but my speakers aren't bi-wireable.

Glenn Baumann

Stunt Coordinator
Michael is correct... you can use external amplification for the (5) channels and the onboard amps for the (2) back surround channels! I have personally done this on my 3801 and no problems! Enjoy!

Glenn

terence

Supporting Actor
I'm running all 5 ch's on the MM-9000 and my surround backs off of the 4ES. Unitl i can get a 2ch amp. No problems @ all.

Shiu

Second Unit
Terrence, do you connect the preouts of the 4ES directly to the MM-9000? Is the MM-9000 a power amp or an integrated amps? I have a two channel Adcom 565 preamp and 555 power amp and am ready to try it out as soon as I can find two pairs of RCA cables in order to use the processor in/out loop. I am hoping that the 4ES pre/pro/amp combo will give me enough improvement to save me from upgrading to something like an aVR7200.

terence

Supporting Actor
HI Shui,

I connect the preouts of the 4ES directly into the MM-9000 inputs via RCA cables.

This should give you more headroom and detail, defiantly for two ch.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Jumping in a little late here, but.....

I'm running a 3803 with three Outlaw M200 monoblocks for the front stage. The internal 3803 amps handle the side and rear surrounds. I used Better Cables Silver Serpents for interconnects.

No problems whatsoever with calibration; the new channel levels were within 1 dB of the previous settings.

The M200 amp sounds noticeably superior to the internal 3803 amps, both for HT and also especially for 2 channel. Better resolution of detail, wider and deeper soundstage, better dynamics and transients - in short everything you'd expect by adding decent external amplification. Very pleased with the upgrade and a great value considering the reasonable price.

As advertised, the M200 runs cool even with three stacked. Even on demanding HT at/near Reference Level, the M200 stays barely warm to the touch.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks