Your experiences with 3803 as a pre/pro and with what amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff_coil, Feb 1, 2003.

1. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

I am in the upgrade mode again and taking the next step to my ultimate goal of separates! IMO I have built my system in a logical fashion (baby steps first a decent rcvr, second some good amps-hence this post, and third a nice pre/pro-future post[​IMG] ) So it is now time to get some off board power so what I am looking for is some insight/advice/opinions on this questions below that you have tried or currently have in your systems.

1)How big of sound improvement did you experience with a 5/7 channel amp? What amp was it?
    2) Should I consider a 2/3 channel for the fronts and use the internal for the rears then a 2 channel later? and if so did the quality of the internal Denon amps improve only driving the rears?

Oh yes this power is routed to B&W CDM’s which in time will most likely be upgraded.

Thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

2. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

Great question...I am considering doing the same thing. I can't wait to here the comments. I'm looking at the Parasound 1205 or 2205, and the ATI 1505 or 1506 is on my list also. I don't use 7.1 right now, so I will probably go with just a 5 channel amplifier. If I do configure for 7.1 I will set the dipoles to use the internal amps since they will be the least directional sound. I think I'm going to upgrade my speakers first, but after just spending the dough on the 3803, I'm probably going to have to wait 'til I get some money back I overpaid Uncle Sam.

3. jeff_coil

Jamey, I too am waiting on some feedback. I guess not to many folks have done this [​IMG] No really I hope someone will chime in as I am getting an itchy trigger finger and would value some experienced feedback.
    cheers

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

For what its worth, I have a 3802 that I first started out pairing with a Proceed AMP2 and loved the improvement in sound. Bigger soundstage, better imaging and resolution and not to mention the rock hard bass. I later hooked a B&K REF 7250 for center and surrounds and haven't looked back. I am loving the smooth clean presentation in both HT and music.

I have no experience with the 3803 but from the specs it looks like it would make a killer preamp.

Best of luck.

5. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

On paper anyway, the 3803 looks like it should be just about as good as any dedicated pre/pro in it's price range.

6. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys
    I had a Denon 3802 and used IRD 100MB's to power my paradigm studio speakers. My intention was to go separates. I started with three IRD mono-blocks for the front. This sounded like the best improvement. I later added four more IRD mono-blocks to power the sides and rears. I really didn't hear to much of a difference with this up grade. With the seven mono-blocks, I was ready for my first Pre/Pro. I bought a outlaw 950. To date this is the second least expensive purchase next to my SVS 16-46PC+ and best up grade I've made. I truly enjoy listening and watching music and movies though my system.
    Using separates I found my Pre/pro runs much cooler than my receiver did. My amps also run cooler then the receiver's did.
    I enjoyed the 3802 and can only imagine the 3803 would sound great. Good luck in your up grades.

7. jeff_coil

Thanks everyone keep it coming. Right now I am eying Rotel, Parasound and B&K amps.

8. James Gallup

James Gallup Agent

Well Jeff, I was using a Yamaha 2300 rcvr and upgraded to an Aragon 7 channel amp and the improvement was substantial. Depending on budget and the amount of components you can live with, you could start with a good 3 channel amp and add the others as space/budget permit. I do believe you'll hear a definate improvement with outboard amps.

9. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I have the 3802 w/parasound 1205a into klipsch rf7's,rc7,rs7,rsw 15 and this is the best combo I have found in its price range.I use 3802 to power rear surrounds only,does quite well.The trigger on is nice also.

10. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

I'm in the same boat, but my HTPC project has me financially incapable of upgrading. Leaning towards Rotel 5 channel or Anthem MCA series 2 channel; some day. Please report your findings.

-RJ.