Using Separate amp's w/ a Denon 3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joseph_Jackson, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Joseph_Jackson

Joseph_Jackson Auditioning

Hello Everyone, I was thinking of purchasing 5 Samson S500 amps to power my speakers. Are these amps ok for home theatre use? I want to by amp my mains, center, and r/l surround speakers. I can get thess amp's for about 250 dollars ea. They put out 150w per channel into 8 ohms.

Receiver: Denon AVR3803

Main Speakers: Boston Acoustics VR-M90's
    Center Speaker: Boston Acoustics VR-MC
    Surround R/L: Boston Acoustics VR-M50'S
    Surround back : Boston Acoustics VR-MEX

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Samson is a low-end pro audio brand. I’ve seen several people here try to use them in the past and said they sounded “gritty.” They work fine for powering subs, but for any of the main channels I’d take a pass.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Felix_H

Felix_H Stunt Coordinator

You are probably better off with the Outlaw monoblocks for the performance and price.

Also, you could also get the Marantz MM9000 talked about lately (5 x 150 watts, THX certified) for about $700us.

4. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Agree with Felix.

Another good option is the HK PA2000 power amps, as they can be had for around $200 or so shipped on line.

I have kicked around the idea of getting 5 of them, one for each speaker and using them as effective monoblocks of 200 watts per channel by passivly biamping each and every single one of my speakers with one of them.

5. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Joseph,

I can't tell you how happy i am with the Marantz MM-9000! I have it mated with a 4ES, and they work great together. The MM-9000 is very dynamic, clean and is a steal at $699.99 brand new over at A4less.com.

6. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

I second the motion with the Marantz MM9000. Excellent musical qualities with it. Nice build with high-quality parts used. Worth the investment.

7. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Mark, you can buy a 5 channel Sherbourn used for close to what 5 PA2000's cost. Plus 1 power cord. [​IMG] As a matter of fact, you can buy a NEW Sherbourn for maybe a couple of hundred more. I can give you a great source if you want. You won't beat those mono blocks either for the money.

I think that Marantz IS a steal for $700 though.

Joseph, NO WAY should you get the Samson's for $250 each. You have too many other and better options under that 1k price. Two better options have been pointed out in this post and that is just scratching the surface.

8. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I would go with the Outlaw M200 monoblocks . They have a great promo going on now where if you buy 6 you get the seventh free along with free shipping , there is also a deal on buying 5. I have three of these myself, they are powerful and sound geat. Mike Knapp the owner of Home Theater Talk has nine in his theater. The advantages of monoblocks are zero crosstalk and they don't have to share power with any other channels. I would not recommend the Samson , for a sub fine but for critical listening not the best. The Outlaws should fit your budget and have a really cool auto on feature that works great. I highly recommend them.

9. Joseph_Jackson

Joseph_Jackson Auditioning

Thanks again, for all the replies. I relly appreciate the time and effort eveybody here has put into answering my question. I will take these suggestions and do som more research.

10. Glenn Baumann

Glenn Baumann Stunt Coordinator

Hi Joseph,

I have what I feel is an even better more flexible solution!
    Look for the now discontinued Marantz MA-700 200 watt per channel monoblock amps... they are absolutely terrific! Do some searches and you will see what I mean... check out the reviews!

I had utilized (7) of these puppies with my Denon 3801 as a prepro and experienced terrific performance with the ultimate in flexibilty... the mating of the Denon and MA-700 amps yielded a very natural, neutral, pleasing sound. Post a wanted ad on Hometheaterforum, Audiogon, AVS etc. to find (5) or (7) of them and see some reviews on http://www.audioreview.com/Amplifier...7_1583crx.aspx

These units are VERY heavy in weight, exhibit a superb build quality, are THX ultra certified and you should be able to secure a deal for a few of these together for about $200.00 to $250.00 each.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Glenn

11. Felix_H

Felix_H Stunt Coordinator

Glenn,

MA700's would be ideal. I did consider them but they are to hard to obtain at a reasonable price.

Best to hope to get 3 for the front 3 channels. Or you could try getting 2 and eventually get a MM9000 for 7 channels.

12. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    What is "a4less.com?"

I tried that address and it's not good. What's the real addy?

Also, just wanted to add that you can find some really good buys at Audiogon.com. I've seen some really nice used equipment, with plenty of pics to verify it's physical condition, at a fraction of it's "new" price.

13. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
  14. Chris Sherman

I still think the Outlaw M200's are the best buy.If you buy the 7 at $1674 free shipping they are $239 ea. I never tried the MA 700 but I did own the MA 500 . No torroidal transformer, very poor quality binding posts, too damn deep, no removable power cord, no music sensing auto on, not stackable, no 5 year warranty. I say try the Outlaws for 30 days if you don't like them return them. If you only need five sell the other two here or on audiogon or ebay.

15. Chris Sherman

16. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Thanks for the link, Marvin. [​IMG]

17. Eric Tobias

Eric Tobias Agent

how are the marantz amps paired with a denon 3803 for home theater?

18. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I don't own a Denon 3803, but i do own a 4ES that i paired with the Marantz MM9000, all i have say is WOW![​IMG] This combo really works well together, PLII on the 4ES sounded great, now it's unreal! I can't believe how fantastic TV sounds now. DVD's/CD's are very transparent & detailed, and very clean. I think you will notice an improvement in your systems performance no matter what seperate amp you go with IMO.

19. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    You're welcome Michael. By the way, there was an earlier thread primarily dealing with the Marantz amp:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ghlight=mm9000

I was wondering if I would have been better off with this amp than the one I have (Parasound 855A). Now I'm wondering if those Outlaw monoblocks would have been the thing to get..

20. Eric Tobias

Eric Tobias Agent

I have a 7 channel setup with the Denon 3803. If I added the Marantz amp I would use it for the main 5 channels? Can I use the power from the deon for the rear 2? I have Def Tech 2002's with a CLR 2500 center so I run my mains and center at large and no sub since there are 3 upfront.

Any advice is appreciated.

Eric