What's new

Using Quad ( 4) subwoofers (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I'm gonna go ahead and go to using 4 LEGACY LWF10 subs for my HT..
Anyone here using 4 subs in they're setup?
Any suggestions?
Comments?
Nathan

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan,
The single most overlooked aspect of using/setting up subs is room placement. How do you plan to arrange them in the room? If for example, you plan to put one in each corner of a four sided room you're in for major trouble tweaking and eq-ing to get them to work. The problem with bass tones is they will tend to cancel each other out at some frequencies and build on each other at others. It all depends on the room dimensions as to where this happens. If you put them in different corners, your bass response will be really uneven. It may be loud but only at some frequencies. Remember, bass sign waves are very long so its easy for them to interact with the room boundaries. A lot of learned authorities advocate placing multiple subs in the same corner of the room. Some big name manufacturers use two subs in some of their top systems... ie Polk for one. Infinity also has systems that integrate subs into the main left and right speakers. However, they also provide equalization to make it work.
I have considered a stereo pair using a Behringer unit to smooth the response. I wouldn't consider four subs running at the same time in different parts of the room. Tell us a little about where you've planned to put them and we might be able to offer you some better advice.
I have no idea of your level of knowledge in this hobby and I don't want to offend. Just remember that in audio, bigger ain't always better. If you're after the best quality system it takes time and a lot of research to make your investment the most it can be. A lot of people start out wanting max volume. Also, a lot of people don't know what really low bass tones sound like. Good audio, whether for movies or music is really about some level of balance between all of the components.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Trevor Schell is using 4 I believe. A pair of Paradigm's and a pair of SVS if I remeber correctly. I haven't seen him post recently but you may be able to track him down via email. Check out the home theater photos section of the website.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!
[Edited last by Jim_C on September 15, 2001 at 12:39 AM]

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Thanks, guys!
I think I'm going to forget about using 4 subs and just spend money on 2 good ones.
Thanks,
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I think I'm going to forget about using 4 subs and just spend money on 2 good ones.
Thanks,
Nathan

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Nothing wrong with running four subs in a room as long as you have the room.
I have two Servo-15's as well as two SVS 20-39's.
All are located at the front of the room. My pictures are outdated as I no longer have them stacked.
I have both sets running into their own x-30 controller which assisted in calibrating each pair to reference very easily.
I am proud of my set-up and would never run less than four subs. This set-up is just right for my room which is 18'x 28'.
BTW,,I will be replacing the SVS with the Ultra Models.
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks