What's new

Looking for Sub Woofer recomendations (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The Pro JBL's actually do get low and they can shake the hell out of things. Disneyland here in Anaheim, California that use to have a musical feature called Captain Eos that was a Michael Jackson attraction used at least 4 JBL 18" subs and the bass would shake the concrete columns outside. And as far as McIntosh not designed for sub duties, that am can basically handle anything you throw at them. Especially the mono block amps that are 1600w continuous @ 8 ohms with 3600w peak @ 8 ohms and have been rated down to .1 ohms!
LG Clone Amps? I would not spend a dime on an amp that LG was behind to be totally honest as I hate everything that LG, I mean GOLDSTAR puts out. LG's HDTV flat panels have panel and power supply problems and there bluray players are horrible and one of the worst rated on the market.
Is the guy with 8 18's have the 18's in the floor with dual quad woofers vented through dual floor vents? But the whole enclosure is built into the floor?
I have yet to find any 8" subwoofer than can actually play deep, smooth and loud. Not a single solitary one! They just do not move enough air to do that in my honest opinion.
I think one of the things many people have to watch out for is sub enclosures that are not properly reinforced and end up rattling.
Will check out the brands you mentioned above! I have heard a SVS before and they have very good bass. Tannoy came highly recomended from someone I trust so that is one I am seriously looking at. I do want to save up and get my Denon Bluray player first and hopefully no later than May 4th. I hope to get alot of research done by May 4th so I can move on and start saving up for a good subwoofer. The sad part is I have never had a dedicated subwoofer in my A/V system.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You would be surprised at what you think is low until you start playing test tones or see the waterfall graphs of different movie scenes. What I thought was low was really 40hz or so. Until I went dual 15" sealed with no subsonic filter I didn't know what I was missing. Now I'm flat to 17hz with usable output at 12hz. That low you can't hear anything except the room rattles but you feel it. That tactile sensation is crazy. The only thing better is massive car audio system. A buddy of mine can hit mid 140's with a single 15. At 25hz that thing feels like a jackhammer in your chest.
Sorry for the confusion. LG = Lab Gruppen. A Chinese company knocks them off and the 220v model puts out a solid 14,000w.
The guy with the 18's uses normal, sealed cabinets.
Once you get a great sub you will have to re-watch all of your movies.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hear what you are saying on that, I know that you can only hear down to a certain point and then you can only feel the bass. I want powerful strong base that doesn't sound muddy or hollow and I want to be able to feel the bass when things explode.
Top subwoofer currently on my list to buy is Tannoy ts 2.10 subwoofer
Velodyne SC-15 15" Subwoofer
Klipsch SW-112 Subwoofer
SVS PB12-NSD
In the end my budget will decide what I am able to get and I am not against picking up a pre owned subwoofer if I can get a really good one for a good price.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Things keep coming up so I got a temp subwoofer that I hope to upgrade in the near future. And the nice thing is I will use the one I just purchased later for my pc after I upgrade it and get some bookshelf speakers for my pc and hook up my Yamaha RX-V995 receiver to the pc.
c48de88f_IMG_2171.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks