What's new

Using Coaxial for CD and Optical for DVD Audio using Same 5 Disc Changer (1 Viewer)

Jason Lundberg

Auditioning
Hello all,

This is my very first post at this forum. So I am sorry if you dont understand.

I currently obtained a Yamaha RX-V1200 reciever and a Pionner Elite DV-C36 DVD 5 disc changer, and was wondering how I would connect the audio of this compnet to my Reciever witha seperate connection for DVD and seperate for CD. (Coaxial for CD and Optical for DVD)So I would have two audio connections for the DVD to reciever one for Cd and ome for DVD.

1)Is this possible?

2)Is this the best way to obtain what I am longging for. (One connection for DVD and one for CD from the same DVD 5 Disc changer.)

Thanks. And if you dont understand this post just ask me some questions and I will answer them to better explain myself. Thank inadvance for the Opinion.

Jason.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
In order to give you the best advice, you should explain why you want to do this. There may be a better way to accomplish your goal.

AbelM

Second Unit
Well Jason Lundberg:

I don't see why this isn't possible? I mean if your DVD player has this *2 digital outputs* then take the optical from your DVD player to your DVD assigned digital input, then take a coax from your DVD to your assigned digital input for CD.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I don't see why this is a problem to do unless the DVD player explicitly says you can only use one of the two digital outputs.

The bigger question is why? I use the same digital coax connection for DVD's and CD's played on the DVD player. Why would you want a different connection for each?

Patrick

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Well... I would use the coax connection for DVD and an analog connection for CDs (using the L/R outs on the Elite). The Elite, perhaps, has better DACs and would do a better job with music. At least try it out.

My .02

Jason Lundberg

Auditioning
The reason why i wannna do this is because i wish to have a connnection on the reciver for DVD's and one for CD's (Mainly because my wife needs these to understand how this all works. And yes the DVD player has both outputs and doe not say anything about not using both of them.

Will the sound be the same on DVD as using coaxial and Optical, so which is better for DVD and which is better for CD? The reciever only has a optical for DVD and the the coaxial input is for "CD'S".

Thanks.

Jason.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jason,

You can open up a big ball of wax when talking about which is better between optical and coaxial digital outputs. I personally use coaxial outputs because the quality of the connection (physically) is better in my opinion.

Patrick

Jason Lundberg

Auditioning
Thanks for your response Patrick but I was wondering if the sound quality is the same between coaxial and optical. No I am sorry I ever brought up the coaxial vs. optical problem. Just wondering if this setup would give me the best bang for the buck and have the optical to CD because the Yamaha RXV-1200 only has a optical input for the DVD function and Coaxial and Optical for the CD input. That way when playing a DVD I am selecting DVD and not CD on the reciever. is there a way to change the names? If so I could probably do that. I have been able to change them on the Remote that came with the reciever but not the selector on the reciever. Please help. Thanks.

Jason.

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same problem, my GF couldn't grasp the fact that when she wanted to listen to a cd she had to switch to DVD and change the surround mode to stereo. So I assigned the CD input to use the same optical input as the DVD player, so when she wants to listen to a CD all she has to do is press the CD button. Is this an option for you?

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Jason,

I am not familiar with your DVD player. Some players output both coax and optical signals at the same time, others you can select one or the other. Try it and see.

But, I still don't understand the necessity. The receiver doesn't care what disc is in the DVD player. Both DVDs and CDs will play fine with one connection.

The reciever only has a optical for DVD and the the coaxial input is for "CD'S".
This sounds very odd to me. Anyone familiar with the Yammys?

Jason Lundberg

Auditioning
That would be an excellent way to do it, but as I look through the manual that came with my RX-V1200 I see no way to assign these properties. I am just a begginer and i do not know much about doing this. so does anyone know how to acomplish this fix for my Yamaha reciever?

Jason.

Jason Lundberg

Auditioning
Yes the reciever does output both. The only reason I would do this is for my Wife and kids who dont understand to listen to a CD why is the reciever set to DVD. Thanks for the input.

Jason.

Jason Lundberg

Auditioning
I found something about I/O assignment and that seems to be what I am looking for so I will try that. I never thought of that option.. so i could set the Input on CD to Coaxial (input 7) and set the DVD input to Coaxial (also, Channel 7)?

Jason.

Does this seem like that would work? Thank you ALL for your help! Also where do I post questions about remotes and lighting controlled by a remote (etc)?

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jason,

Some higher end receivers have a digital input assignment menu but I believe with the lower end units like the old Sherwood 8090 I used have remember what digital input you used the last time you selected the input source.

So, if you selected CD and told the receiver to use coaxial input #1 and then selected DVD and told it to use coaxial input #1 as well it would remember this the next time you used either CD or DVD.

Patrick

Jason Lundberg

Auditioning
Thank you for the reply. since i just arrived home I will go and try that I/O assingment. Thank you for your help.

Jason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks