using car subs for home

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DerekCV, Feb 28, 2005.

1. DerekCV

DerekCV Stunt Coordinator

Is there any reason to not use a sub that was designed to car audio for home threater? As long as the you wiring them for the correct load and use a proper enclosure, seems logical to me.

I would like to get 2 15"'s and make an enclosuer the to go under a FP screen, maybe the 1000 watt amp from parts express. Not sure, just thinking out loud

Thanks

2. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Home theater subs are designed to go lower than car subs usually. If you are going to buy speakers for your home theater you might as well get the ones designed for it. Car subs are generally meant to be tuned for about 30 to 40 Hz (music) and home theater subs are tuned to 20 Hz (low frequency effects) or below.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Drivers for cars tend to be designed with cabin gain in mind, so they don't usually work well for HT. Drivers for HT should be able to be found for about the same price as decent car drivers.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It all depends on the T/S parameters as to whether or not it will play low. The Image Dynamics IDMax 12" looks really good for a home sub especially with a 20hz FS. I don't have time to model it in Unibox but it should work just fine.

The new 15" ED subs model very close to an Adire Tempest but are about $15 cheaper and have free shipping.

-Robert

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

If you are going to have to buy woofer/s to build a sub, than it would be best to purchase sub woofers designed for that use/purpose..

Car subwoofers are usually not a wise choice. There are certain car woofers that will work, and work well, but secific TS-Params make them so....
    Infinty, CV, ID, RE, ED, Eclipse, & others all have (some "specific" woofers) that would work for HT use.

If you have to buy woofer/s, (best to stay with HT designed woofers). There are many many already proven HT-woofers out their and new ones always coming down the pipe.

If one knows what to look for in a woofer for HT use & for a specific sub design, than maybe a good buy on a specific car woof might be pratical..

This coming from one who runs 2-12" ED subs in is HT..:b

Cheers ¥

6. DerekCV

thanks for the advice, i'm a rookie, and i'm just looking for a reason to build a subwoofer enclosure since it isn't practical for me to do it to my car now that I have a son and all.

7. JimHaskell

JimHaskell Extra

An oposing view:

For your first subwoofer build (if that's what it is), you may not want to invest a lot of money. Maybe you just want the experience of building a sub. So you could buy automotive speakers and mess around with them, then when you are ready to make a serious sub, and invest some real $$. You can yard-sale the old auto subs. Some teenager will buy them and build his first enclosure for his car too.

8. DerekCV

I've buitl several things for cars, nothing for HT, I'm confident in my building capabilities, just know nothing about HT.

9. John S

John S Producer

You have the subs already? If not, I don't think there would be much if any savings in using car audio subs.

Do some searches, some highly regaurded drivers, just aren't really that expensive.

10. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Wise words, if you already have them then they'll most likely will be better than nothing and imho will be better than half the home subs you can buy under $500 from my experience (this is how I started by building subs with Pioneer and Jl audio drivers). If you intend to buy a driver go to the hardware section of this forum and put a wtb add for either a Tempest or Dayton DVC 15" for $100.00 including shipping and most likely you'll get 2-3 responses and save a little money (do the same for a plate amp of 250 watt plus for the same $100.00 as well, for $200 investment + wood you can build a great sub).

11. DerekCV

That's a good idea. I'd do that when I have my system all penciled out. Thanks.