What's new

USHE Press Release: Back To The Future Trilogy (4k UHD) (2 Viewers)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it. They are a store exclusive limited pressing, not a general release. They'll sell out and then that will be the end of it. My store sold out of them by the time I got up the day after I went in there, despite the fact that all of their copies were dinged. I don't think they will be around long.
Agreed, some individual steelbook titles in the past would go on clearance because supply overestimated demand. Let's be honest, sometimes it seems BB wasn't very picky about what would get SB treatment. But I think these are almost entirely going to sell out due to the continuing popularity of the films.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am not here to thread crap. I love Back To The Future, and just watched it for the first time in over a decade in 4k and it holds up beautifully.

The sequels? Not so much. When I was in my 20s and saw Back To The Future II, I really thought it was incredible. However, watching it as an adult, some of it is cringe-worthy, most notably the segment where we see future Marty McFly coming home from work, getting a TV call from a slimy "Needles" character only to get fired shortly thereafter by his boss Mr. Fujitsu in a really bad over-the-top Asian stereotype dialogue.

Still, I have to say, filming the sequels back-to-back, there are interesting references made in part II to what happens in III.

Finally...

I am really glad I didn't invest in the Giftset. While there are some Giftsets that have some really cool toys/models, I had to laugh at the crappy hoverboard toy that was included with the expensive boxed set.

Ignore most of the "fluff" in the video below and skip to about 12:00

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...The sequels? Not so much. When I was in my 20s and saw Back To The Future II, I really thought it was incredible. However, watching it as an adult, some of it is cringe-worthy, most notably the segment where we see future Marty McFly coming home from work, getting a TV call from a slimy "Needles" character only to get fired shortly thereafter by his boss Mr. Fujitsu in a really bad over-the-top Asian stereotype dialogue...
I never thought much of the sequels, especially the second one. The timing and tone always seemed off to me. I already have it on iTunes, but I may end up getting the first film on disc when it gets an individual release.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Nothing from Target on a shipping date so i canceled the order. They should have done a better job on communicating on the status of the order.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I am not here to thread crap. I love Back To The Future, and just watched it for the first time in over a decade in 4k and it holds up beautifully.

The sequels? Not so much. When I was in my 20s and saw Back To The Future II, I really thought it was incredible. However, watching it as an adult, some of it is cringe-worthy, most notably the segment where we see future Marty McFly coming home from work, getting a TV call from a slimy "Needles" character only to get fired shortly thereafter by his boss Mr. Fujitsu in a really bad over-the-top Asian stereotype dialogue.

Still, I have to say, filming the sequels back-to-back, there are interesting references made in part II to what happens in III.
I never thought much of the sequels, especially the second one. The timing and tone always seemed off to me. I already have it on iTunes, but I may end up getting the first film on disc when it gets an individual release.
I frequently see people say that Part II is their favorite of the series but in terms of the sequels, I've always preferred Part III. The climax with the train 'heist' is exciting and the end with Doc telling Marty, Jennifer and essentially the audience to make their own future a good one is really nice.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I’ve always liked the idea of steel books and have bought a few in the past, (I particularly like some of the alternative artwork), but I quickly stopped buying them because they are so prone to damage. Even when I managed to find good ones, the artwork seemed to peel over time by just sitting on my shelf.

The best thing a SteelBook collector can do is buy a supply of Blu-ray case sleeves (such as these). They're basically essential to protecting the metal cases from scratches and shelf wear. At less than $12 for a pack of 100 sleeves, they're not very expensive.

As a side bonus, the "crystal clear" sleeves also give SteelBooks with a dull matte finish (like these BTTF cases) a glossier appearance that looks nicer.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The best thing a SteelBook collector can do is buy a supply of Blu-ray case sleeves (such as these). They're basically essential to protecting the metal cases from scratches and shelf wear. At less than $12 for a pack of 100 sleeves, they're not very expensive.

As a side bonus, the "crystal clear" sleeves also give SteelBooks with a dull matte finish (like these BTTF cases) a glossier appearance that looks nicer.

What? No mylar??? :eek: :3dglasses::P

Never considered such for movie cases, but maybe I should... not for the steelbooks I don't buy, but maybe for the handful digibook types. Wonder how they'd look on shelves though -- don't imagine so good... and I'm probably not about to stick them in my old comic book bins (alongside my old comic collection), LOL...

Hmmm... wonder if some slipcase fanatics use these w/ them as well -- maybe I should, LOL...

_Man_

Britton

Screenwriter
I called and got a case number. They told me to call back tomorrow. We’ll see...

I called Target again today. They cancelled my order and created a new one for store pickup. My discount from the Buy One Get 50% off another was applied to the new order. Now just waiting for my pickup confirmation.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
What? No mylar??? :eek: :3dglasses::P

Never considered such for movie cases, but maybe I should... not for the steelbooks I don't buy, but maybe for the handful digibook types. Wonder how they'd look on shelves though -- don't imagine so good... and I'm probably not about to stick them in my old comic book bins (alongside my old comic collection), LOL...

Hmmm... wonder if some slipcase fanatics use these w/ them as well -- maybe I should, LOL...

_Man_
Not a slipcase fanatic but I usually put paper/chipboard disc cases in Ziploc Freezer bags to prevent damage :cool: .

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think we are all on the edges of our seats waiting to see how that deal pans out. I missed out on it, but I'm sure as heck interested in the outcome.

I’m getting very itchy about this one.

About ready to pull the trigger on a digital code.
Lots of offers that are under $15 for this set.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That’s really tempting Doug.

I think if I don’t get the set from Gruv eBay will refund the money

If I do get it. I can sell the codes for at least $12 and get my money back and could sell the disc set for a minimal amount.
Hmm.
I do still have the blu ray set from about 8 years ago.
Wonder if I could sell that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’m considering buying a pack of paper CD sleeves to put the discs in before sliding into the books. Might this help?

Just in case anyone here is interested who hasn't checked the other thread...

Over in the A Few Words About thread for this set, @Chewbabka and I have found a way to protect the discs (slightly) better then the packaging from Universal does.

If you put the discs in paper sleeves, they will fit snugly inside the hardcover book (although not in the cardboard holders themselves.)

More here: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...-in-4k-uhd-blu-ray.369493/page-2#post-4922775

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I do still have the blu ray set from about 8 years ago.

If you list it on eBay or something, you'll want your listing to be as informative and complete as possible. So just FYI, the original Blu-ray set was released in 2010. The previous re-release prior to this one was 2015. I have no idea what they are valued at now -- probably less than they used to be because of the existence of the newer set -- but you could probably get something for it from somebody who just wants the movies and doesn't really care about having the newest/best version.

Real Name
Luke Pacholski
For anyone who wants to take a flyer -- there is an Ebay seller with excellent feedback who has the Trilogy 4K available for $9.99.

I think pretty much it has to be an error, but stranger things have happened. The listing is coming in/out of stock and I fully expect it
to be cancelled and I don't think I'd be upset since that seller now has sold a couple thousand units of a new release at Big Lots pricing..
I think gruv-entertainment is affiliated if not owned by Universal so it's even possible they'll actually fulfill orders and I won't feel like I'm putting a small business owner into Chapter 11. It is selling out intermittently, but it keeps getting relisted with more copies so don't give up too early.

I could have sworn there was more discussion about this that I'm not seeing now. Perhaps it was in another thread?

Whatever the case, the price went up to $49.99 shortly after I ordered on September 27th. On October 13th I got a message indicating it was backordered, but I just got a shipping notice, so it would appear they are in fact honoring the orders that got in at $9.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks