What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

USHE Announcement: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
That's assuming the discs WERE replicated.
Nick's discs were check copies, not final pressed so we don't even know if any were pressed, perhaps they stopped the run before the discs were pressed, but the packaging was done perhaps.
I don't know but that seems most plausible.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Note that Universal supplied DVD-R media on some of its review discs back when I was reviewing their discs for HTF. I wonder if the first Hitchcock set that got out for review in the UK was on BD-R media (maxing out at 25 gig)? That might account for anomalies in the video, if they had been further compressed to fit on the smaller media.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/1200#post_3990892
Well, you can live in your world and I'll live in mine. The scenario you posit didn't happen. It's that simple. The fact that you keep on going with it is, I suppose, amusing and enjoyable on some level

You can't actually say that with any more conviction then Doctorrossi can say it did. No one knows where these sets came from. Hell, no one knows if any will actually ship. Once people get them in their hands it's all speculation. And since it's no longer an on the table offer, being "sold out", it's useless to continue arguing.

The bottom line on this Fingerhut order is "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/1200#post_3990898
Note that Universal supplied DVD-R media on some of its review discs back when I was reviewing their discs for HTF. I wonder if the first Hitchcock set that got out for review in the UK was on BD-R media (maxing out at 25 gig)? That might account for anomalies in the video, if they had been further compressed to fit on the smaller media.
Is this standard practice? It sounds insane and also explains why a terrible reviewer for Sun Media in Canada might think everything looks fantastic. :P

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
haineshisway said:
Well, you can live in your world and I'll live in mine. The scenario you posit didn't happen. It's that simple. The fact that you keep on going with it is, I suppose, amusing and enjoyable on some level :)
:confused:
I'm glad you're amused that I don't necessarily take your 'definitive' word about something you haven't the knowledge to speak definitively about.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Russell G said:
You can't actually say that with any more conviction then Doctorrossi can say it did. No one knows where these sets came from. Hell, no one knows if any will actually ship. Once people get them in their hands it's all speculation. And since it's no longer an on the table offer, being "sold out", it's useless to continue arguing.
The bottom line on this Fingerhut order is "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".
The bottom line is Fingerhut either got the set early (doubtful) or doesn't have it yet. I can say with complete conviction that Universal didn't ship this set to anyone.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
haineshisway said:
The bottom line is Fingerhut either got the set early (doubtful) or doesn't have it yet.
The bottom line is that you don't know any more than the rest of us do.
haineshisway said:
I can say with complete conviction that Universal didn't ship this set to anyone.
Have all the conviction you want; conviction isn't fact.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Russell G said:
Is this standard practice? It sounds insane and also explains why a terrible reviewer for Sun Media in Canada might think everything looks fantastic. :P
DVD-R was standard review disc practice for some Universal titles back in the DVD days. It made judging quality impossible.
Based on Nick's review site, all the Hitchcock discs were BD50. So if they were replication samples, they are at max size.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Doctorossi said:
The bottom line is that you don't know any more than the rest of us do.
Have all the conviction you want; conviction isn't fact.
Well, you see, that's where you're mistaken. I don't post here unless I know what I'm talking about. It's that simple. I think we've exhausted this by now, don't you? I can say that no one will be receiving the improper first pressing discs and you can think whatever you wish. In the end, you can come back and say, "Ah, you were right" just as I would come back and say the same thing if you were - but in this particular case, I won't need to :)

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
haineshisway said:
Well, you see, that's where you're mistaken. I don't post here unless I know what I'm talking about. It's that simple.
Ok, but until you can support that claim with some specific evidence, forgive me for taking it with a grain of salt.
haineshisway said:
I think we've exhausted this by now, don't you?
That's up to you. You've done nothing to satisfy me that the scenario I describe can be excluded, so I guess you can either evidence your claim or we can stop talking about it. I'm happy either way.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Doctorossi said:
Ok, but until you can support that claim with some specific evidence, forgive me for taking it with a grain of salt.
That's up to you. You've done nothing to satisfy me that the scenario I describe can be excluded, so I guess you can either evidence your claim or we can stop talking about it. I'm happy either way.
So sadly typical. Some here know I know exactly what I'm talking about and that I would never post a supposition without saying it's a supposition - and some don't, you being in the latter group. You can take it with a grain of salt or not and it is not my job to satisfy you - and you clearly don't want to be satisfied, and it wouldn't matter what evidence was posted. You can just come back and say, "Ah, I guess you did know what you were talking about." You will do that, won't you? I'm sure you will. :)

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Is it possible Universal was aware of some the issues with the set before Nick received it? Maybe they were working through some of them and had just decided to send a check disk set of what they had at the moment? I'm hoping this is the case because it would mean an improved product across the board.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/1200#post_3990909
The bottom line is Fingerhut either got the set early (doubtful) or doesn't have it yet. I can say with complete conviction that Universal didn't ship this set to anyone.
Fingerhut was making it known that the sets would be received by release date. Not before. I fail to understand why everyone is questioning this, and you...

RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Harris said:
Fingerhut was making it known that the sets would be received by release date.  Not before.  I fail to understand why everyone is question this, and you...
RAH
Because it's the Internet? :) But maybe by ivory tower views they meant the Universal tower - you and I both know that view very well indeed :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/1200#post_3990880
There are more Beaver caps up, but he is just too unreliable for me to put ANY credence in them. Add to that how unknowledgeable he is about how films are shot, and he's not really doing anyone a service with these "reviews" of his. It's especially true of his treatise on The Birds.
Could be worse, Gary could have had Norwitz review them. >_

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
So far the caps look really good. I'm not a fan of DVDBeaver so it pains me to say this...I'm really looking forward to pics of the "problem" titles. One thing that caps can't show you is frozen and selectively moving grain. That's now my biggest pet peeve, even more than the general blur-filter DNR seen on the well-known scrubbed titles.
Cautiously optimistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks