1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

USHE Announcement: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    I ordered from Fingerhut, too. (Thanks for the info!)
    Worst case these sets contain the bad discs (Why do they say "in stock?" Hopefully they just did not update the release date in their system.) and we ask Universal to replace them.

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Looks like Canadians can't enter a billing address on Fingerhut unless I'm missing something.

3. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Supporting Actor

Schuyler
    Well, worst case would be, they contain the bad discs, we ask Universal to replace them and Universal says, "No."

4. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Fingerhut is now listing the Hitchcock collection as "out of stock".
    I don't know if that means that so many HTF people took advantage of the deal that they have run out of their allotment, or they 'pulled' the item because of either price or date.
    Either way, the deal is currently no longer valid.
    David

5. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

While I'm pleased to see that DVD Beaver has received a review copy as of October 12th and is now posting their findings, I"m concerned that no review copy has come in this direction. If they send the set here, I'll get the evaluations up as fast as I can.

6. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Those screen caps look very nice. The one close-up shot of Grace Kelley in Rear Window is either cropped closer then the DVD screen caps, or it's a different frame. I don't know if the levels are correct in these shots, the contrast and brightness looks good to me. The shot of Thelma Ritter, Grace Kelley and Jimmy Stewart looking out the window with the shadow over their upper half looks good, not too dark. Whether its correct, i don't know. Can't wait to see these for myself.
    The shots of Madeline in Vertigo also look great.
    If the Katz/Harris commentary track is gone, I'm glad it's still on the earlier DVD releases.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'll be looking forward to it!

8. JJHLH

JJHLH Extra

John
    I placed an order from them 2 hours ago. The shipped price was $103.98 using promo code NC197. I've never ordered from them before but the price was too good to pass up.
    I can't wait to see more HItchcock on blu ray. In my opinion it doesn't get any better!

9. JJHLH

JJHLH Extra

John
    I placed an order with them 2 hours ago. The shipped price was $103.98 using promo code NC197. The deal was too good to pass up.
    I can't wait to see more Hitchcock on blu ray. In my opinion it doesn't get any better!

10. JJHLH

JJHLH Extra

John
    I am so excited about this set. I love watching Hitchcock films on blu ray. In my opinion this is as good as it gets!

11. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    I am fairly encouraged by the DVDBeaver caps of Vertigo and Rear Window. The color in both seems much better.
    I saw Vertigo many times in original release with the original dye-transfer prints. Saw Rear Window in the reissue 1961 dye transfer.
    One of the things I am looking for in both films is color and detail on very dark scenes. Dye-transfer Technicolor holds these very well.
    The Rear Window scenes (e.g., Stewart, Kelly, and Ritter looking out of the window) hold up better on Blu-ray than the other caps. This is encouraging.
    I am impressed by the shot in the flower shop. This has not looked very good in recent years, and it looks closer to my memory of the Technicolor here.
    As we all know, there is no way that I can really claim to definitively "remember" the look of film prints that I saw over 50 years ago. I was 13 years old! So it is all subjective guess work.
    We will see what happens but I am cautiously optimistic.

12. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I guess no one is really understanding - Universal didn't ship any of the sets before the delay. Seems pretty simple to me that either Fingerhut got their shipment of the corrected discs two weeks early (as did The Beaver), or they don't have them yet. There's really no other scenario.

13. ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior Stunt Coordinator

So far so good. I'm really interested in seeing how Marnie turned out.

14. Doctorossi

Schuyler
    I don't know about Fingerhut, but companies like Big Lots and Ocean State Job Lot could certainly introduce you to an additional scenario.

15. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

to those thinking Fingerhut had old/bad stock .... they didn't have any stock
    the product page says (said when it was available, which it no longer is) ships direct from supplier
    not sure who their supplier is that is drop shipping it but there were enough red flags with this company that I'd rather not risk having to deal with them if any issues whatsoever
    to those who had the courage to order hope all turns out well

16. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

pretty sure the info about them having it and the price originated in a post at blu-ray.com
    wasn't a case of HTF taking all the stock
    just sayin

17. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    And what scenario would that be? It's real simple, really: Universal delayed shipping the set - no copies were shipped to ANYONE with the exception of some raw reviewer discs to ONE person. Why try to make theories where there can be no theories? Seems a little odd to me :)

18. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    There are more Beaver caps up, but he is just too unreliable for me to put ANY credence in them. Add to that how unknowledgeable he is about how films are shot, and he's not really doing anyone a service with these "reviews" of his. It's especially true of his treatise on The Birds.

19. Doctorossi

Schuyler
    That would be the one in which Universal asks itself, "What are we going to do with all these bad discs we pressed?" and Fingerhut answers, "We'll take 'em for fifty cents on the dollar!" It wouldn't be the first time such a scenario was realized.
    Odder than trying to insist that there cannot be theories when, clearly, there can?
    And, to answer your question, because people who took advantage of this deal would probably not want to be burned by "factory seconds".

20. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Well, you can live in your world and I'll live in mine. The scenario you posit didn't happen. It's that simple. The fact that you keep on going with it is, I suppose, amusing and enjoyable on some level :)