Used HDTV Concerns?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Quinn, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Quinn

Quinn Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I am new to the forum and may purchase my first HDTV. A friend of mine is moving overseas and has offered to sell me his Hitachi 61SWX10B. He has had it for 1 year and it was in-box and then a short-term floor model at Circuit City. There is 1 year remaining on the 2 yr extended warranty plan. The warranty would transfer to the new owner. My questions are as follows:

1) We arrived at a price of $1100 (he paid $2500 1 yr ago) and MSRP was $3999. This would include Monster Cables for dvd, sat, etc. How does this price sound?

2) I am concerned that it does not have a DVI input. I currently have analog DirecTV, but would consider going digital when the receiver prices fall. Looking at the digital receivers online, it does not appear they have DVI outs. I didn't think you could get a digital/HD signal w/o DVI, however the lack of DVI outs on the receivers make me question that. Is the lack of DVI inputs a concern?

3) What problems should I beware of regarding a used tv? I do know he took care of it and it does have another year of warranty left.

Considering the price, I am willing to give up a few features for a while until the next upgrade. Thanks for all of your help. Looking forward to contributing to the community as much as I can!

Quinn

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Look carefully for burn-in. Any TV used as a display model was run for 12 hours a day with the contrast set way too high (more than likely). If they had it on any channel with a logo or a ticker then that image is burned into the picture tubes.

-Robert

3. Quinn

Quinn Stunt Coordinator

I looked closely last night and did not see any burn-in. I also looked at the extended warranty, there is 3 years remaining, not one.

Any suggestions on my other concerns?

Thanks much!
    Quinn

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Best not to purchase a used TV. Has the owner told you what picture settings has been using?

For a few hundred more you could get a brand-new RPTV (with DVI input).

5. Quinn

Quinn Stunt Coordinator

By picture setting do you mean full vs. fill vs. normal, etc? If so, he uses normal for regular TV (sitcoms, etc) but likes full for X-Box, movies, and sports.

If you mean color, he said he has it set for a blue/green (if that is a certain type of setting). Also, he does not watch a ton of tv or movies.

I guess my deal with this tv is that the price seems right with the remaining 3 yrs of warranty and he needs to get rid of it fast. Everything I have seen over the last year runs around $2300 for a somewhat comparable tv. The $1500 tv's seem to be lower grade 47 inchers. However, maybe this is a, by today's standards, lower grade 61 incher. I can justify $1100 with the warranty and monster cables mcuh easier than $2000 for just the tv.

Any additional input is greatly appreciated.