What's new

USB in Windows XP? (1 Viewer)

I'm thinking of getting an external CD burner and can find a Plextor with USB 1/2 or a Yamaha Firewire. I' using Windows XP and I don't think USB 2.0 is supported. Can't find any drivers or info on the Microsoft website. If anybody has any info, thoughts, experience with this or could steer me to the right place, I's sure appreciate it.

Thanks.

Larry Carlson

Thanks, Nick. I had already seen that thread and I realize that I have to get a USB 2.0 card. I looked at the Belkin site and couldn't find any info there either - they say it works in Win XP, but they don't say if they furnish drivers or if the drivers are supposed to be in XP and I can't tell if they are there or not. I'd just hate to spend the money and then find out drivers won't be available til August. Thanks again for your help. If anyone else knows or has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Larry

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Larry,

From what I've read the USB 2.0 drivers will (are?) available via Windows update for Windows XP. I also remember reading that the drivers would not load on your PC unless you needed them. I'll see if I can find the story that contained this information.

Hugh M

Second Unit
if its not available right now, then your USB 2.0 host hub would default to regular USB (1.x?) .. I personally see USB 2.0 as the way to go. the only reason it is not supported right away in XP is because microsoft tried to railroad it and supported firewire instead. stupid silly MS again.

I may very well have to take my CDRW out of my HTPC and use a USB 2.0 drive instead. but that means more room for hard drives!!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
if its not available right now, then your USB 2.0 host hub would default to regular USB (1.x?) .. I personally see USB 2.0 as the way to go. the only reason it is not supported right away in XP is because microsoft tried to railroad it and supported firewire instead. stupid silly MS again.

No, Microsoft is stupid for not supporting both. Firewire is superior thanks to a no CPU hit, but Microsoft goes it usual pathetic way in intentionally limiting features.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I got the Plextor PX-W2410TU external USB 2.0 drive and a Buslink USB 2.0 card. It ended up being about $100 cheaper than the Yamaha Firewire plus the cost of a Firewire cable. I never could find the MS Win XP USB drivers and I did all the upgrades that were on the MS website. They did not load when I put the card in but the Buslink card came with drivers and everything seems to be working fine.

I tested it with a 650 meg disk today and it copied (read & write with the Plextor) in a little over six minutes. Using the drives that came with my machine (Asus cd reader and Pioneer DVD/CD writer it took over 10 minutes. So I'm satisfied.

Joseph, thanks or the tip on CPU usage - I didn't know that. I decided on the USB because of cost and I never do anything else on the computer while it's copying.

Thanks again all.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks