USB in Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Carlson, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Larry Carlson

I'm thinking of getting an external CD burner and can find a Plextor with USB 1/2 or a Yamaha Firewire. I' using Windows XP and I don't think USB 2.0 is supported. Can't find any drivers or info on the Microsoft website. If anybody has any info, thoughts, experience with this or could steer me to the right place, I's sure appreciate it.

Thanks.

Larry Carlson

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  3. Larry Carlson

Thanks, Nick. I had already seen that thread and I realize that I have to get a USB 2.0 card. I looked at the Belkin site and couldn't find any info there either - they say it works in Win XP, but they don't say if they furnish drivers or if the drivers are supposed to be in XP and I can't tell if they are there or not. I'd just hate to spend the money and then find out drivers won't be available til August. Thanks again for your help. If anyone else knows or has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Larry

4. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Larry,

From what I've read the USB 2.0 drivers will (are?) available via Windows update for Windows XP. I also remember reading that the drivers would not load on your PC unless you needed them. I'll see if I can find the story that contained this information.

5. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

6. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

if its not available right now, then your USB 2.0 host hub would default to regular USB (1.x?) .. I personally see USB 2.0 as the way to go. the only reason it is not supported right away in XP is because microsoft tried to railroad it and supported firewire instead. stupid silly MS again.

I may very well have to take my CDRW out of my HTPC and use a USB 2.0 drive instead. but that means more room for hard drives!!

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

8. Larry Carlson

Thanks for all your help, guys. I got the Plextor PX-W2410TU external USB 2.0 drive and a Buslink USB 2.0 card. It ended up being about $100 cheaper than the Yamaha Firewire plus the cost of a Firewire cable. I never could find the MS Win XP USB drivers and I did all the upgrades that were on the MS website. They did not load when I put the card in but the Buslink card came with drivers and everything seems to be working fine.

I tested it with a 650 meg disk today and it copied (read & write with the Plextor) in a little over six minutes. Using the drives that came with my machine (Asus cd reader and Pioneer DVD/CD writer it took over 10 minutes. So I'm satisfied.

Joseph, thanks or the tip on CPU usage - I didn't know that. I decided on the USB because of cost and I never do anything else on the computer while it's copying.

Thanks again all.

Larry