What's new

USB 1.0 vs. 2.0 (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I've only used the 1.0 before, but I'm about to get a new PC that has 2.0 ports.

Will my devices (digital camera, scanner, portable MP3 player) be compatible with 2.0? Do I need new connection cables?

Or does the device have to be "2.0 ready"?

Also, will I notice much difference in transfer speed?

Thanks,

Jon

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Everything stays exactly the same for you as it is now. Only once you get USB 2.0 Hi-Speed devices will you notice a difference.

-Christian

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Just to be clear: my device must be USB 2.0 in order to reap the benefits of my new PC and its 2.0 ports, yes??

My digital camera and my portable MP3 player are fairly recent purchases, but as far as I know, they're not 2.0's. How can I tell for sure?

Jon

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
If you plug a USB 1.x device into a 2.0 port, it will simply function at 1.x speeds.

You may want to check with the website of the company that made your products to see the USB Speed of your devices.

Just look on the box, or go to the product manufacturer's site and check the specs. IT will specify USB 1.x or 2.0. There are hardly any USB 1.0 deviced floating around anymore.

In any case, most flash memory these days could not keep up with USB 2.0 speeds, so the extra speed would go unused. USB 2.0 is great for external hard drives, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks