What's new

USB 1.0-2.0 Question? (1 Viewer)

DaveJJ

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a way to determine what USB version I am using. My motherboard was bought in 2002. Is there a way to upgrade to 2.0 if it is the older version. Thanks for any responces.

DaveJJ

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Have you tried looking for USB add-on cards you can install in your motherboard PCI slots? Also, check your motherboard's documentation to find out if it already offers USB 2.0 on it.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I just added an Iomega external CD Burner and was surprised to find I only had USB 1.1 in my 2002 computer. Couldn't find the info to tell me what USB I had anywhere.

But yes, you can add a USB 2.0 card as long as you have an open PCI slot. Bought a USB 2.0- 5 port PCI card today for $39 at Best Buy. There are even less expensive ones at CompUSA.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
This worked for me: open the Device Manager (type Windows-Break to open the System Properties; button is on the Hardware page). At the bottom is Universal Serial Bus controllers. Under that I have "Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM" blah blah blah. Googling "Intel 82801BA" told me that's ICH2, part of the 815 chipset, which is USB 1.1.

USB 2.0 is provided by 82801DB ICH4, part of the 845 chipset, and later.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Yes, as long as your operating system can handle USB 2.0 (meaning anything newer than Windows 95).

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Windows XP does not support USB 2.0 out of the box. Make sure you have service pack 1 applied. AFTER you put the service pack 1 on, then go into the device manager. If you have USB 2.0 there will be a device with an exclamation point next to it. Right click on that and go to properties. Click "update driver" and just pick the default windows driver and you will now have USB support.

Anything older than windows 2000 or windows XP has limited USB support. It works but not as easily.

If your motherboard was purchased in 2002 I would think it would have USB 2.0. What is the make/model of your motherboard and I'm sure we can find out very easily.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
My mobo is an old Epox 8k7a, it didn't have 2.0, I just bought a 2.0 PCI card for $25, works like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks