What's new

US$700 to US$1100 to spend on a receiver (or maybe more?). (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Sorry for the repeat question, but I'm still wondering what to get. I am trying to get the info online at the brand website and in the forums, but many of these are simply too new to get a handle on. Plus, I'd like to get info on where to get these damn things around Toronto. I want to get something fairly soon, as I have the money in my acct. right now. I don't want to go do something stupid like put it in my mortgage or something.
wink.gif

I have ruled out the Outlaw 1050 and the Marantz line.
Absolute must:
4 or 5 channel stereo
DD5.1/DTS
Dolby Pro Logic II
5.1 channel input
4 or more digital inputs, with at least 2 toslink and 2 coax
Works well with Panasonic RP91
Preferred:
Surround EX, DTS-ES
Variable crossover
Cinema Re-eq
Pre-outs for all channels
Digital output
Front Audio, composite, S-video input
I'm thinking:
Kenwood Sovereign 5080, 5090
Integra 6.2, 7.2
Onkyo TXDS696
Outlaw 950 plus amp
Denon 2802/3802/4802
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Denon 2802/3802/4802"
Eugene, It looks like you have your "list" of pros vs. cons all set up and you're looking at the right stuff.
However, the reason I quoted the above...there is a HUGE difference in the prices of the 2802 and the 4802, even the Onkyo and the 4802. If you pick up the 4802 at a dealer, you're going to spend a pretty penny...maybe over $2k. This isn't a bad thing, however IMO. The 4802 is in another class. It isn't available yet, should be soon so we can see some reviews.
If I were buying another receiver...I would again buy the Denon 5800. It can be had for mid 2k...same price as the 4802 at a B&M. It has all of the options you've asked for including more inputs than one could ever take advantage of.
This is a nice bonus with all of the inputs we're all taking advantage of, SACD, DVD-A (you can hook up both!), and all of the other components you can wish for in the future.
If you are willing to spend this kind of coin, others to be auditioned would be the Onkyo 989 and the B&K 307. If you buy one of these 3, you won't be wondering what you could've had...just how you're going to fill up the rear panel :)
Jeremy

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like you have all the brands covered that have PLII
My thought would be to go out and listen to some of the receivers that you are thinking of getting & decide for yourself which one sounds the best.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Hmmm...
My thought would be to go out and listen to some of the receivers that you are thinking of getting & decide for yourself which one sounds the best.
Well for the 3802, it doesn't even exist in Canada. Even if it did, I'd choke on the cost (see above). I might have to resort to mail order for it. As for the Kenwood Sovereign, I have never seen a dealer for it here in Toronto.
By the way, I'm not sure I need 6.1, since my setup is not ideal for a rear centre (see below). I'm just thinking if I move in a few years... Maybe a 2802 would suffice.

----------------------RS
-----------------------U
MR-------CCC----TTTT---R
A--------OOO----AAAA---R
I--------UUU----BBBB---O
N--------CCC----LLLL---U
SL-------HHH----EEEE---N
-----SEAT--------------D
-----SEAT-------------LS

------------------

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
Do you care about front input? For me that was one litmus test on any reciever.
I would toss in Marantz but if I were you I would go for kenwood 100%!
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Yes, I do care about front inputs, although it ain't a deal breaker. It's on my preferred list above. I like the Marantz machines and their remotes are nice, but the fixed 100 Hz crossover seems too high for my system.
As for the Kenwood, the 5080 seems OK. I have a 1080 right now. The 5080 has 4 channel stereo, which seems theoretically to be more desirable tha minor point, and I have not done direct comparisons. Who sells the Sovereigns in Toronto anyway???? The Kenwood 510's quality is a bit suspect, but it's significantly cheaper though (at around US$450).
------------------
[Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 20, 2001 at 10:01 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks