What's new

Outlaw 1050 with Panasonic RP91? (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Any issues matching the Outlaw to the Panasonic RP91? I've done a search and haven't found specifics. It's still in the running against an Integra 6.2, for a lot less money.
I'd ask about the 950, but that is gonna be a bit more than I wanted to spend with the amp, and it ain't out yet anyway.
What concerns me greatly about the Outlaw is the lack of enough digital inputs. DPL II would be a bonus too, but not as much of a big deal. The fact that it has multiple crossover settings definitely interests me. It doesn't seem to have both pre-in and outs though. And does it have 4 or 5 channel stereo?
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
By the way, the multichannel stereo is of prime importance to me, partially because I like to have (quiet) music coming from all corners of my 14x20 room when entertaining.
My room has the living room with stereo system at one end, and the dining area with the surrounds at the other end. The mains are Studio/60 and the surrounds are Monitor 7, all Paradigm.
ie.

----------------------RS
-----------------------U
RM---------C-----------R
-A---------O-----------R
-I---------U-----------O
-N---------C-----------U
LS---------H-----------N
-----------------------D
----------------------LS

------------------
[Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 20, 2001 at 10:52 AM]

Eugene:
I am using a Panny RP-91 w/ the Outlaw. I have been very happy with it. You can use the 1050 as a pre, many people have upgraded to the 750 amp and kept the 1050 as the pre.
The 1050 has 4/5 channel stereo via the DSP modes. They all are pretty worthless except for "Natural". That one is actually pretty good. I use it for most music and for Non-surround TV. It gives a decent 5 channel sound.
The other nice thing about the Panny/Outlaw combo is the ability to utilize the DTS decoding of the player through the 5.1 inputs (that you need for the DVD-Audio anyway) to put the Outlaw in "Direct" mode. Then, with the a touch of a button, you have 6.1 in DTS, also. Of course, it is a matixed 6th channel, but, it does "solve" one of the "disadvantages" of the Outlaw.
Not sure if this helps, but, hope it does.
Take care,
sdg
------------------

I have RP91 and 1050 combo - they work good together. And I prefer to use 5.1 inputs on receiver for everything that comes out of DVD player. Decoder in player itself is comparable to one in receiver plus you taking advantage of getting matrixed 6.1 DTS. So, in the end you have 3 spare digital inputs.
And I agree that Natural is the only acceptable soundfield for me but you may like others too.
------------------
Andriy Zolotoiy
My HT: http://members.home.net/azolotoiy

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
One thing with my current Panny is that with my receiver if I skip to the next CD track using the optical output, I get no sound for half a second before the Kenwood recognizes the data stream. This was not a problem with my previous DVD player. I assume this is not a problem with the 1050? I do not want to use the analogue inputs alone, since the RP91 has no real bass management.
As for "natural", is it safe to say it's just stereo multiplied through 5 channels?
Can you run the preouts into its own 5.1 input? It would be nice to have the option of running an equalizer in the loop if I should decide to.
I know it doesn't decode DTS-ES, but what happens with those tracks?
Hmmmm... The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I should just up my budget and go for the 950 and amp.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks