1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

No wonder I can't find Kenwood Sovereign here. Only 1 store in Canada has it.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

It's at the Brick Home Show in Toronto and according to Kenwood Canada, nobody else in Canada has it for the time being.
    Tentative list prices for the 5080/5090/5700 are CAD$1499/$1699/$1999 respectively, which works out to US$970/1100/1295 respectively. That's not bad considering the US retail prices are 1200/1500/2000 respectively.
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=55&productId=753 digital inputs.
    All are THX certified, if you care about those things.
    While the 5090 has EX/ES there's no pre-out for that. Pre-outs exists for the other channels
    They all have this "PointLess" [​IMG] RF two-way remote with LCD screen, which also works with IR for your other devices.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 21, 2001 at 10:36 AM]

2. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

I listened to the 5090 at a Good Guys store in Southern Calif. and it sounded awesome, just as good as the Denon 4800. Really impressive.
    Razvan

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

From their press releases of their current 5090 and previous models, they claim HDCD decoding. So am I to understand that they take the raw signal off the the CD/DVD player and then process within the receiver as HDCD?
    So far I've only ever heard one HDCD system, and it sounded just like a good non-HDCD system, but I digress.
    Anyways, it seems that by going with the Sovereign name and exclusivity, they're making the equipment more expensive. Online, some of the Kenwood VR-4080 machines (with DPL II etc.) were going for under US$400, while the Sovereign VR-5080 is $$$.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

4. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

This unit does HDCD decoding, you just need a CD player with a digital out. I prefer DTS CD's but the HDCD's are damn good.
    It also does video upconversion so you can run in a hodgepodge of RCA, S-Video and Component and run everything out via the connection of your choice.
    It also has a video and audio record out for 3 of the individual inputs which makes it a dream with a projector system.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater