What's new

Upgrading the video in my HT (1 Viewer)

bobk101

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob K
I originally set up my HT about 10 years ago. I have a 7” CRT projector (Sony 50Q – I think?) coupled with a Faroudja 2200 doubler. It’s been a great combination. However, with the entrance of 1080p, I now feel that I am probably missing out.

I am considering purchasing a new projector – not sure if I should go with LCD, DLP, etc.?? Additionally, I will need to purchase a Blu Ray player or another video player (i.e. PC, NAS, etc.) to send 1080p to the projector.

I have a few questions:
•What projector (s) are currently preferred – i.e. DLP, LCD, etc. and what brands/models would you recommend – I would consider spending up to $5K
•Will I still need a line doubler or would I connect directly to the projector from the source? Note that I would also have a Netgear EVA 8000 as well as a high def tuner connected to the display
•What would you recommend as a video player? Simply a Blu Ray player or a more sophisticated hard drive/PC/NAS/media player that could not only play DVD’s but also video files. I could spend up to $3K on this. Given the space requirements (i.e. file size of HD video) there may not be a reasonable hard drive storage solution at this time
•Are there reasonably priced burners for 1080p at this time? An outboard burner that could burn Blu Ray DVD’s onto disk or to a file?
•Is the cabling primarily HDMI now or are they still using component or RGB?
•Any ideas as to where to source the above components at the best price?
•Lastly, do you know of an aftermarket for my CRT projector and/or Faroudja – I would hate for these items to go to waste. You may or may not know that these two cost ~ $15K back in the day!

Sorry, but having been out of the HT space for a while I’m not up on the current stuff

Should I wait for more Blu Ray content or is it time yet!

Thanks

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
I don't think it matters what type of technology you use today, they are all good and have pluses and minuses to each.

Here are a few in your price range:
Epson Home Cinema 6500UB Projector Review
Panasonic PT-AE3000 Projector Review
Mitsubishi HC7000 Projector Review

There are others but this should get you started.

Projectors from $499 for business, home theater at Projector People. Projector Rebates, Packages is a good site to get projectors, great service and great people - it may not be the lowest price but it's pretty low.

I don't know if you have an updated receiver with HDMI or not, but the Panasonic DMP-BD35 is a great blu-ray player if you do. Get the DMP-BD55 if you need multi-channel analog outputs for an older receiver. After watching blu-ray myself, I just can't go back to dvd. Even if every movie is not on blu-ray, the new ones are and they look awesome. And yes, you're pretty much stuck with HDMI.

You can build a HTPC and rip blu-rays onto it if you want to, though to me dvd's are much easier to rip and play than blu-ray. Personally I am waiting till it gets 'easier' to rip and play blu-rays. The hardware is barely even there to play the new lossless codecs from blu-ray.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I don't know that I agree with this; most projectors have component ins as well. The only reasons to go with HDMI are (1) ease of cabling; and (2) BD players will only upscale SD DVD over HDMI, which is only as good as the scaling engine in your player. I'd add 1 more recommendation as far as projectors go: the BenQ W5000, which gives you the added flexibility to add CIH, if you want to do that @ some point. It's listed @ $3199 at the costco.ca website, but isn't listed on the costco.com site.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
He wants 1080p, which means he'll need either a higher-end CRT projector (I don't think his will do 1080p) and find a way to strip the DRM off the blu-ray discs or just get a newer projector with HDMI and save some of the hassle.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Oh, and yes you can just send the HDMI cable directly from the blu-ray player to the projector. Get your HDMI cables from monoprice.com. If for some reason you find yourself having not enough HDMI inputs on the projector, monoprice has inexpensive HDMI switches as well.

As far as where to buy the player, amazon.com is where I got mine. JR.com bhphotovideo.com are good places to get them. That and Best Buy.

bobk101

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob K
Thanks - will I need a doubler/scaler for the "non 1080p" video being sent to the projector - i.e. HD tuner/recorder (which will send 480i, 720p, and 1080i signals) and my NAS that will send 480i and 480P (DVD) for the most part?

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
No, the projector will upscale any input signals to 1080p. Wow, you really have been out a while
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

bobk101

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob K
Ouch! I didn't know that the projectors will automatically upscale. As I'm sure you know, my CRT requires a scaler to eliminate teh scan lines before hi def was even broadcast. It was used to handle DVD and cable TV. I guess alot has changed
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I understood the HTPC questions, but I'm not an HTPC user myself, so I wasn't about to respond to those. I merely wanted to give a suggestion re: projector, as the W5000 is a really good one w/in the price range indicated.

bobk101

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob K
Any opinions on the two Sony projectors:

VPL-VW70 and VPL-VW60

They look like good projectors - advantages/disadvantages compared to others?
Thanks

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Price is the first one that comes to mind. The second is the inflated contrast ratio numbers, although it seems every manufacturer does that. Contrast ratios seem to be turning into the wattage ratings for amplifiers of the display world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks