What's new

Upgrading Projector and Possibly Receiver (1 Viewer)

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
I'm assuming moving a mount 2' closer to the screen is fairly trivial. Just drill new holes, unscrew the old, move, and screw in - correct?

If I move it 2' closer, what would be a good low cost choice? I can go over $1K if it is really worth it.

I chatted with a Best Buy "expert" who recommended the Epson 3020e with my setup, but I'm guessing they didn't understand much more than I do. I'm still very green at projector selection and positioning, but I'm learning thanks to you all.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've yet to see reviews on the X020 Epson, pertaining to gaming. It is LCD, therefore behind DLP (check any, and every, gaming site. Everybody says buy a DLP.).I'll hit projector central with a 9' throw.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
BenQ1500 looks good... I will look for some extension arms for it.

One last question - how high would it need to be mounted? I'm not quite sure how to figure that out yet.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
the_grip said:
My current projector is a Hitachi PJ-TX100
About time to put that dinosaur to bed.

But...I would sell it. Somebody out there will want it cause it is 720P and has DVI-D. Even if you got $200 for it.

And since it has DVI-D, the installer was an idiot to not run a HDMI cable with the component already. (they could have at least run a DVI-D cable)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
the_grip said:
BenQ1500 looks good... I will look for some extension arms for it.

One last question - how high would it need to be mounted? I'm not quite sure how to figure that out yet.
It has lens shift. I keep beating that horse.

Lens shift will allow(specifics I don't have...as that, precise, info is in the OM of the projector...which can be downloaded at BenQ.com) flexible placement...height wise.

By the way, your Hitachi has lens shift. Vertical and horizontal. Not sure why you are not understanding lens shift.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For those reading along...

If you get a projector installed...have them to run a Cat6 cable along with the HDMI. HDBaseT is out there...and one day, somebody is going to include it on a projector.

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Yes it looks good. I'm reading some quality issues with 3D and frame interpolation when using the wireless HDMI, but I'm not a big 3D guy anyways :)

Thank you for the help - I had forgotten about lens shift, great tip.

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Hey again schan,

You've been a huge help, so I hate to bother you further. You don't know of any extension arms that will move the projector towards the screen, do you? I'm having a hard time finding any... please don't spend a ton of time, just asking if you know off the top of your head where to look, etc. I've Googled and looked through Amazon, but am not having much luck.

Actually, scratch that. I can just buy a new mount that will fit and move it forward a foot as I have plenty of room. I'm guessing I need to find a stud or build some kind of small frame that connects to studs to ensure the projector is secure.

The other alternative would be to replace my screen instead, but I would still need to buy a mount. It looks like 120" screens (which seems like would be ideal) run about $300, so I think just moving the mount would make more sense.

Thus, it looks like:

1. Projector: $1,300
2. Mount: $30
3. Receiver: ~$400
4. Amazon Credit: -$750 or so

Total out of pocket would be about a grand (plus I need to buy the PS4 :)).

Does this seem like a reasonable idea, or is the money better spent in a different setup?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would have no issue with expenditure. You aren't buying an extension arm(I mispoke).You'd go to a machine shop with a schematic of the current mount, they'd make you an arm. $50 and easy. If you feel comfortable yourself...12" piece of two inch pipe(big enough to run power through) and a...Neighbor with a welder and a case of beer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I live in "rural America"...

I could rig something together to accomplish this in like 30 minutes...from crap I have lying around.

You "could" also build an encasement for the projector around the existing mount...essentially a box to sit it in. Would help with noise and if you have the return to your HVAC close, you can route ducting there for heat dispersion.

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Hi again!

Got everything in today... for some reason, I thought the X1000 came with a WHDMI piece. Maybe I dreamt that.

At any rate, can anyone recommend a good WHDMI solution to plug into an existing receiver?

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Curious how the wireless HDMI works that comes with that BenQ.For giggles, you could hard wire it for us(by putting the Denon close to the projector, obviously...nothing permanent) .

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Will do. I need to buy a longer HDMI cable.

I've only tried the wireless HDMI so far. I also have not received the ceiling mount yet, so it is running on a table. That said, the picture looks noticeably grainy especially compared to a LCD/LED TV (not a projector). It is definitely better than my old projector, but I'm hoping there may be a setting to adjust this (or perhaps it is the wireless). Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks