What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The People Under the Stairs -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Wes Craven's 1991 The People Under the Stairs didn't receive a whole lot of love when it arrived, and ultimately may be for Craven completists, possibly akin to his 1999 Music of the Heart, which also seemed to go unappreciated.

But for those completists, Scream Factory provides a continued service in their releases of the thriller and horror genre, and Universal has provided a beautiful 4k master.

Color, densities, grain structure - all look correct. DV provides some nice rich black levels (as does HDR10).

Scream this ain't, but fans should eat it up.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS HD-MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Worth your attention - 5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes, if you're a fan

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would probably pick it up for a sale price. This is one I saw in theaters in my formative years as a horror fan, but haven't watched it in a long, long time.

Last edited:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Wes Craven's 1991 The People Under the Stairs didn't receive a whole lot of love when it arrived
It certainly got plenty of love at the video store where I was working when it came out on VHS in 1992. Small store, so we didn't have a ton of copies of new releases, and I kept getting calls for it. I hated calls asking if something was in stock, and begging me to hold it for them (technically, we treated new releases as first-come, first-serve). I was having a bad night when someone called and asked, "Do you have People under the Stairs?" I replied, "No, we don't even have a staircase" and hung up on them.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It certainly got plenty of love at the video store where I was working when it came out on VHS in 1992. Small store, so we didn't have a ton of copies of new releases, and I kept getting calls for it. I hated calls asking if something was in stock, and begging me to hold it for them (technically, we treated new releases as first-come, first-serve). I was having a bad night when someone called and asked, "Do you have People under the Stairs?" I replied, "No, we don't even have a staircase" and hung up on them.
Luckily you didn't work in a bowling alley ... or store that sold tobacco ... ;) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks