Upgrading my receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by migito, Apr 24, 2005.

1. migito

migito Auditioning

I have a Panasonic receiver that came with a HTIB. I have since upgraded my 3 front speakers to Polk RTi6 and CSi5 & my subs to Polk PSW404.

I was contemplating on upgrading my receiver to a denon 2805 or Onkyo SR702. Will I hear a noticeable improvement in sound quality if I upgrade (movies and music)? I don't really mind the extra features. I'm more particular about the sound quality and would like to know if its worth the investment.

By the way, I don't have access to stores that have demo units (ie. best buy, etc...) so I can't try before I buy.

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

If your Panasonic has a set of pre-outs, try connecting an outboard amp. Since your receiver is an HTIB, you may not have this connection available in which case (IMO), you should upgrade to a receiver that does.
    Your next upgrade after the receiver should probably be an amp.
    One step at a time is the norm for upgrades since your opinion may be much different a year from now. Good luck

3. MattJB

MattJB Auditioning

Also, if you are looking to upgrade for sound qualtiy, make sure to look at Harman Kardon receivers. They are known for their sound quality.

4. migito

migito Auditioning

Thank you very much. I think I will purchase an entry level receiver with pre-out and invest in a separate stereo amp.