What's new

Upgrading my receiver (1 Viewer)

Eric Burton

Auditioning
I'm looking to upgrade my current HT. I, or should I say "the wife" wants to do it a little at a time(or until I can sell my current setup). So, I'm going to start with my receiver. I'm looking to spend around $400 or less. Any suggestions?

My current system:

JVC RX-778VBK Receiver
JVC XV-M555 DVD
Cerwin Vega D-5's (11 years old)
Cerwin Vega D-1's (11 years old)
Cerwin Vega LS-6C (Center)
Cerwin Vega LW-10 (sub)

John S

Senior HTF Member
etronics has the Harmon Kardon AVR-325 for $429 right now...

That is a full featured 7.1 setup, should last for a long time.

Do some other price searches on it, you may be able to find it even cheaper.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I see you currently have JVC ............ I say, stick with it!
You are already familiar with it. You know it's good stuff. A lot of bang for the buck. The new ones have a lot of features and plenty of inputs and outputs. User friendly too. Speakers are already matched to JVC, etc.......;)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

If you didn't need the Pro Logic II feature, you could find one of these JVC receivers used for less than $200:

JVC 8000VBK

I used to own one - and the only reason I sold it was so that I could have Pro Logic II. Now, I don't use Pro Logic II that much - and, at times, still wish I had the old JVC. Mine was only a year old when I sold it for $175. When Sound and Vision tested it, it produced 68 watts when 5 channels were driven. The ol' 8000VBK is much more solid and heavier than the new 8030 which is about 3 generations newer.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

You might look into Panasonic XR-45. They are small in stature, silver in color(if that matters)but are getting great reviews from their digital amps. They are in your price range.

I just upgraded my JVC 9010VBK to a Harman Kardon AVR7200 and agree with John about the HK 325. You would love the fuller sound that I got on my upgrade path. I also enjoyed the 9010, just needed more power for my front projector setup moving the JVC to my 35 inch direct view system.Any path you take may have you looking for more CV speakers since they have 2 more surround channels. OH NO!! another upgrade, you better break it to the wife easy!
:D

DG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks