What's new

Upgrading HT, would like input please. (1 Viewer)

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
Hello!! I'm new to this site but sure glad I found it. Here is my situation. I have a nice STARTER HT setup, currently have a zenith 46" projection, had pioneer dolby prologic amp and BOSE AM speakers all the way around. I decided to update my BOSE equipment and go digital with the Lifestyle 35. The demo that I heard was awesome.

Got it all hooked up, and wasn't as impressed as I thought I should have been. So I find this site (accidentally) and start reading (like all serious newbies should do), and find that BOSE is overpriced in most instances and not of the BEST quality. (OK, now i know to read and be WELL INFORMED before buying into the market HYPE!)

So here I go again, I dont have a problem selling the Lifestyle 35 to someone else, I heard a set of Mirage OM7's last night, WOW!

Anyway, im looking for input. I am also upgrading the RPTV to a projector and screen (I already have the screen, its the DaLite Cosmo, 120" Diagonal). And would like input on projectors to look at, Im guessing in the 4,000 to 6,000 range... (room dims are 15 x 11.5)

I would love any and all opinions that someone may have for me.

-Troy Swope

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Troy. Welcome to HTF!

There is a separate "Display Devices" fourm that would likely give you a more focused answer on projectors. This is the Basics area and projectors are a bit more advanced.

Good Luck.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I for one, just want to congradulate you on being awakened from the Bose nightmare. Well, that's being unfair. Bose does make a fair product, it's just that they charge you 3x as much for it than something of comparable quality. It's always refreshing to have former customers see the light.
You didn't mention it in your post, but I assume you are going to upgrade your reciever as well. In today-speak, Pro Logic is kind of a dinosaur. I don't know what you're partial to, but I've had Yamaha since the start of my HT and have been delighted with it. You should be able to find a good Yammy with DD/DTS 5.1 decoding for around $400. I haven't shopped for awhile, so my numbers might be off, but you could probably get a full-blown DD-EX, DTS-ES, DVD-Audio reciever for under $850 (proof! http://shop.store.yahoo.com/audiosou...nvsthxuls.html )
Bruce

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
bruce;

thanks for the response. i like the footprint of the bose, but you are right, for the money, i expected more. i do want to go dolby digital (or whatever the latest flavor is) i have been out of HT for way too long. i did see a denon high end amp the other night, it retailed for 2499.00 so i dont mind spending the green to get something really nice.

i do need to get something not too obtrusive for the rear, so i am weighing all of the options now.

this site has been great for info so far, and am glad that i found it. i will continue to read in here and post post post, til i cant post any more. thanks to all for the wealth of knowledge out there.

-troy

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Troy,

That Denon is an awesome reciever. It will have everything you could want in a reciever (I'm not sure of the product number, but I think the Denon 3801 is probably the one you were looking at...if so, don't hesitate to get it). The only problem might be if you are cramped for space because those things are massive.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks