What's new

Upgrading 24TX to 45TX... please comment. (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I'm thinking of upgrading my 24TX to the 45TX. Please comment. Also I have several questions.

1. Will every video input be converted to Component like the 49TXi?

2. Does it have Auto-MCACC?

3. Does it have actual usable Cinema-DSP-like mode?

4. Should I just stick with my 24TX?

5. Will an upgrade to 43TX is enough? (with manual-MCACC)

Josh_Z

Agent
The VSX-45 will not convert video, but does have auto MCACC similar to the 49txi.

One of the largest enhancements will be PRO logic 2 as far as surround modes.

The 45 is a new chassis also. It has better amps, construction, processing, DACs ect.

The 43 is similar, but lacks a few of the room tuning features found in the 45. I ended up buying the 45 and haven't looked back.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I would also skip the 43 and go straight for the 45. The MCACC is the coolest thing I have seen on any receiver. I don't know about the 24, but the 45 has all the latest sound formats except for Logic 7.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
The MCACC is also available on the 43, just not the Auto version, only the manual version which requires SPL meter to do. However... is it as effective if it's done properly by the user?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
David,

Any receiver's speaker levels can be adjusted manually with an spl meter. Many also allow individual manual equalization of each individual channel. I think this is what the 43 can do. Since equalization involves changing the frequency response curve of each individual channel to suit the frequency response characteristics of the speakers, it sounds like a pretty daunting if not impossible task to achieve with just an spl meter.

The auto version of the MCACC on the 45, as well as automatically setting speaker volume levels, also does this equalization automatically. During the auto setup, the receiver actually emits test tones at 5 different frequencies for each speaker and adjusts the output to achieve flat response at the listening position. This not only compensates for speaker characteristics but also for frequency response problems caused by room acoustics/speaker placement.

I have an odd room, with a large arched opening at one wall. I have the tv backed into one corner with the couch opposite in the other corner, so it's a diagonal setup, necessitating less than ideal speaker placement. The MCACC on my 45TX has done a wonderful job of creating an accurately balanced surround sound environment for me, something I've never been able to achieve with a sound meter and the manual equalization feature on my previous Sony ES receiver.

All of my speakers are nominally rated at 8 ohms, and I have them set to small with an 80hz crossover, using a Klipsch KSW-12 sub. My room is about 17 or 18 feet square with 8 ft ceiling, but that 7ft wide archway in the back wall, and I've been able to crank the volume to deafening levels with no sign of distress from the receiver.

I never had any plans to go beyond 5.1 speakers, but ran out and bought rear surrounds the third day I had the 45tx.
The MCACC recalibrated these into the system and the result is really cool.

DPLII is very nice for satellite tv and other 2 channel sources, and can run thru all 7 speakers. The unit can synthesize a rear surround channel from 5.1 sources, pretty effectively simulating DTS-ES or DD-EX, and the THX re-eq can smooth out some harsher soundtracks. 7 channel stereo is also available for music as well as the DPLII music modes. I haven't played much with the proprietary DSP modes, but they are notably less "boingy" than those found on the Yamaha receivers I've owned.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
You'll love the extra features on the 45TX.. I'd recommend it and it is light years above your 24TX. Not, that I don't like it.

The MCACC and EQ are just outstanding for fixing room accoustic problems. I think this is a significant leap ahead for receivers in this price range and I don't think anyone on these forums understands yet the implications of the technology Pioneer has put in the 45, 47 and 49.

It just makes it easy for a layman. But, if you are an adjustment freak like me - man its almost overwhelming what you can do.

Mike

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Swoooooosh......! (running out the door buying the 45TX from my local B&M... I know, I know, I can get it for $200 cheaper on the net, but I'll get 3-year Canadian Pioneer warranty through her).

Thank you for the responses guys. I'm drooling as I type this post.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Okay, I've ordered the receiver and will pick it up on Tuesday. However, meanwhile, can anybody please post the REAR of the receiver?

Also, would anybody kindly please post the dimensions and the weight of the unit?

I'm partially disabled and I'd like to know wether I can carry this unit by myself or do I need someone's help to do so.

Thanks again.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
David,

I'm on webtv so can't post a pic of the back, but per the owner's manual the thing weighs 41.5 lbs (18.8kg) without packaging.

It's 16 9/16" wide (420mm), 18 5/16" (464mm) deep, 7 7/16 (188mm) high.

Hope you enjoy it!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Do a search - there are pics somewhere on this forum.......

If you give mne your e-mail address I send you the manual on pdf.

BTW: what's your speaker setup?

Mike

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I'm using PSB Alpha AV all around with a Kenwood 103 Subwoofer. I've been using the Alpha for quite some time. I own about 12 pairs of them for my HT and recording studios.
my e-address is [email protected]
Thanks again.
PS: I can't seem to find the pictures (or is it just my network tonight) because many pictures won't show up for one reason or another.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Quick question.

should I input the speakers distance and/or size and/or calibrate speakers' level before doing the MCACC

or

can I just plug in the speakers, plug in the supplied mic and after setting the speaker size all I have to do is press the auto calibration button?

Brae

Supporting Actor
1. No
2. Yes
3. I think so :)
4. I know nothing of the 24TX
5. If considering the 43TX then don't, and go with the 45TX

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
David,

MCACC will set everything up for you, just follow a few simple on-screen instructions. If it sets your speakers to Large when you want small, just go into Normal setup after MCACC is done and change them manually. Won't affect the calibration other than eliminating the 63hz equalization setting from the main/center/surrounds.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Thanks for the additional info.

Several other questions:

1. If I set the phantom back surround on "ON", will it make any difference considering the distance between the left and the right rear channels are only about 5 feet?
I ALWAYS sit right smack dab in the center of them.

2. Can the DD or DTS be combined with other DSP programs such as 5-D Theater or Cinema?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
David,
1. The phantom back surround will sound just fine. I had my 45tx set up with just 5.1 speakers for the first few days, and I was sitting 2 feet from the left surround and 5 feet from the right one.

I placed the mike for MCACC right on the top of the couch back about even with where my ears would normally be. The receiver automatically calibrated based on that listening position, and the virtual back surround seemed to be properly positionned.

2. I suspect that the dsp modes will "overlay" native DD or DTS, never really tried it on this receiver but every other reciever I've owned (2 Yamahas and a Sony) have done it. It will also apply THX post processing to a native DD, DDEX, DTS, or DTSES signal, as well as DPLII, DPL, or Neo 6 cinema for 2 channel sources--you can run these surround formats either with or without the THX stuff added. You can also add virtual rear center to DPLII, DPL, or Neo 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks