upgrade receiver or sub?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rich-R, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Rich-R

Rich-R Extra

Newbie here in need up help. I have been scanning the various forums and have ordered a new set up ascend fronts and center (170's and a 340) to replace a set of bose. Now I am wondering if I should upgrade my sony receiver gx700es or try to make a sub for myself. My receiver only has speaker outputs for front, center and rears but no sub output. Can I just connect a sub to my front terminals along with the front speakers and put the money into building a sub? I am not sure that I can justify a new receiver to my new bride. I was lucky enough to be able to get the fronts and center as it is!!!! Thanks for all the help already. rich

2. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

Unless your current receiver doesnt have dolby digital or dts capabilities, I would certainly reccomend building a subwoofer, as it will make a much bigger difference.

3. Rich-R

Rich-R Extra

The receiver does have dolby digital but not a separate sub output.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Yes, you can route the speaker wires for your front main speakers to the sub amp then from the sub amp to the mains. Of course this is assuming you use a plate amp with speaker level inputs which most do.