What's new

Upconverting to componet? (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I have a HDTV that predates dvi and hdmi. I've noticed that the digital feed of HD channels is so much better than my dvd player feed and I am looking for ways to improve things without spending a fortune......
Is there a dvd player that upconverts to componet????

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You may be seeing only the difference between standard definition (all DVD's) and HDTV in which case you don't need to buy anything.

Yes there are a few DVD players that output digital video, but before you buy one of them, see if you can borrow or even rent a DVD player with its own (analog red, green, and blue) component video jacks.

So-called progressive scan players output either 480i or 480p from the same output jacks. Almost all HDTV's accept both although the TV may have separate component video jack triplets for 480i and 480p. Try both. A rented player might not construct the best 480p from the native 480i of DVD. Should you find that a non-progressive player with component output improves things drastically from what you have now, you don't have to go furhter to investigate players with digital output.

If you are not satisfied with what you got from a non-progressive DVD player, shopping for progressive scan needs research and time. All but the oldeest HDTV's convert all standard definition input to progressive scan if the input was not already progressive such as from a progressive DVD player. You need to do the research to learn what is a good job of making progressive scan. If the TV does a good job, you don't need a progressive DVD player. If the TV does a poor job you need to be careful not to buy a DVD player that also does a poor job.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you really want to try upconversion on your display...

Get a Zenith DVB-318, do some searches load the early firmware revision. Once this is done, the player will only work well at 1080i out on the component video outputs.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Gosh, I really got to check my sight.... the threads above are all about upconversion and how to go about it.
Thanks anyway for everyone's answers.......

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Allan,

My HDTV is a Mitsubishi WS-65511 (circa 2003), and does not automatically convert input to progressive....? What do you consider 'old'...? Are you referring to flagship models only?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Wow Derek, You sure about that one????

If asked, I would of been pretty darn sure it did do that.
I didn't think mine did either till I checked, and yes, it sure did.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
John,

Depending on whether I have progressive output on my DVD player (Denon DVD-1600) turned on, the TV (Mitsu) identifies both 480i and 480p signals (if it did covert, would the TV still label 480i stuff?)..... or, am I looking at it back-ass-wards: the TV identifies the incoming signal as interlaced, but converts it to progressive for display (and how would I confirm this)? I can say that video PQ improves immeasurably when progressive is engaged on the Denon, so what does that mean if the Mitsu does do the conversion: that the Denon simply does a much better job than the Mitsu?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hard to say.. But in little print in my manual, it does state all sources are line doubled / progressive scan.

One of the features listed on your set is Progressive Scan, it does indeed do it. Even though it tells you that the input is 480i -vs- 480p.

All sources.

I can tell you, that any screen over say 50" that does not do it, everything NTSC would truly be horrible on it.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I will check tonight (I think you are right in that it does do the conversion, however...). I think the difference may lie in the de-interlacing hardware in the Denon vs the Mitsu (that's all I can think of to explain the difference in PQ, anyway)....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks