What's new

Upcoming The Two Towers/ FOTR-related programming (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
OUR GUYS ON CHARLIE ROSE:
This is the program description of tomorrow night's Charlie Rose:
"Movie 'Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers'; director Peter Jackson; Elijah Wood; Viggo Mortensen."
In Chicago it's playing on both Channel 20 (Tuesday 11:00pm) and Channel 11 (Wednesday 12:00am)
"Charlie Rose" is an hour-long interview show on PBS. The show is syndicated so check your local listings.
Last year Peter Jackson was interviewed for an hour on Charlie Rose. When the show was repeated they edited his portion down to a half hour and filled the other half hour with an interview with Ron Howard.
There's no indication if TTT will be featured the entire show. They often have more guests than what's listed in the program descriptions, which is why Peter getting an entire hour last year was so amazing.
If someone finds out when TTT trailer (latest one) will come on "E! channel - Coming Soon", please post. Thanks
I don't know. Do you mean "Coming Attractions"? If so, they never list in advance what they're going to be showing. I have my Tivo set to get the show, and they repeat a lot. When they show one I'll post.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
E! News Live yesterday had a short snippet from TTT, a longer version of the encounter with Eomer. They said today that they would have more. I didn't list it because, these shows lie. I'm just watching it and others every day just to be on the safe side.

Yes Vickie, I meant Coming Attractions.
Usually when someone finds out, it's too late for me. I'll try to check here very often :).

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Vickie,

Just wanted to thank you for compiling and maintaining this list. With my beloved Tivo in the shop (it picked a perfect time to crap out), I'm relying on lists like these to feed my obsession.

I archived all things FOTR-related on VHS last year (from the earliest trailers to Howard Shore's Oscar acceptance speech), and I plan to do the same again this year. Who knows if I'll ever watch the stuff again, but for some reason it's comforting to know that I could.

--Jefferson Morris

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Jefferson: Just wanted to thank you for compiling and maintaining this list. With my beloved Tivo in the shop (it picked a perfect time to crap out), I'm relying on lists like these to feed my obsession.

I archived all things FOTR-related on VHS last year (from the earliest trailers to Howard Shore's Oscar acceptance speech), and I plan to do the same again this year. Who knows if I'll ever watch the stuff again, but for some reason it's comforting to know that I could.
You're welcome. I envy you. I didn't know (or, gasp! care) prior to seeing LOTR (I hadn't read the books, though I did after seeing the movie) and my TV was off (literally) from September 12 to mid-January. I appreciated the Auguest DVD release because I missed the Making of specials. I'm making up for lost time this year!

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I tuned in to watch the WB special tonight and caught the last 5 minutes. Looks like it started at 7pm and not 8pm. Anyone if this is likely to be repeated?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
December 4 7:00pm
I don't know if this is local to Chicago, or national, or what. My Tivo picked it up. The blurb says "Michael Rosenbaum previews the feature film and chronicles the life-altering adventures shared by its stars in New Zealand during the three-film shoot."
Turns out they were the same thing! Ch 9 in Chicago is the WB. I didn't know that because I don't ever watch the WB.
If you went by my time, I can't tell you how sorry I am Andrew. I don't know if it will be repeated, because I don't know if the WB tends to repeat things. Last year I caught a repeat of the Fox special in, I forget, April or May maybe.
I will certainly keep my eyes open for a repeat, and post it. If it isn't repeated, perhaps I can make a tape for you.
I need a repeat myself because my Tivo cut off the end. It ended when they were showing a clip from the movie that I hadn't seen before. Legolas had just shot an arrow at a Warg when the recording stopped. Teach me to add a few minutes onto my recording time.
I hope they end up putting this on the first release DVD. It was pretty interesting, LOTS OF SPOILERS, but a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff too. Not so much a "making of" since much of that was covered from the first movie, but a "we had a lot of fun doing this, and this, and this" type show.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with something called Must See Marquee on TechTV, and more movies. Also LOTR: FOTR is showing all this month on Starz!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I need a repeat myself because my Tivo cut off the end.
So did mine - the special must have been a little over 60 minutes. Not to worry - we'll be seeing the rest of that scene in two weeks!

I enjoyed this show much more than Fox's FotR special last year. Hopefully it will show up on the TTT theatrical release DVD.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Well it's too bad many of you missed the show, especially the very end. I wanted to talk about the CGI in the movie clip they showed. I watched the TV broadcast and taped it at the same time.
Here's what I saw: After Legolas shot down a couple Wargs, Gimly came up behind him on his horse. Now this part got really cool...Legolas, standing on the horse's right side as it quickly approached, reached across the horse and grabbed the reigns on the left side, swinging himself around and on to the horse. It looked really cool the first time I saw it. I did a double take...literally.
After the program ended I rewound the tape back to that spot so I could see it again. But the second time through it didn't look so cool. The CGI looked very "low budget." I don't know if it was because it was taped on my old player that adds noise and degrades the video and thus, removed or destroyed some of the cosmetics that trick our mind into thinking it looks real. Or if they didn't take the time or spend the money to do it right. Or if the broadcast clip wasn't quite finished yet and it has or will go through further renderings before printing it on film.
The same thing happened with the Wargs. They looked good the first time, but a second viewing revealed ugly CGI. I mean, it looked worse than that Anakin scene when he's riding that cow thing in AOTC.
But my favorite moment in the show was the "I survived Helms Deep" t-shirts. Those were hilarious! :D

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with something called New Zealand: The Royal Tour
Brett, Malcolm, ha! I love Foxtrot.
Bill, I'm actually glad I missed that now, though I'm still sorry to have missed the end of the show. I want to avoid spoilers, but I'm so weak. My Tivo kept me away from that one! That sounds like the kind of moment that would be cool to experience in a theater full of unsuspecting fans.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Argh, I forgot about the special!! Are they going to re-run it any time?

The CGI looked very "low budget." I don't know if it was because it was taped on my old player that adds noise and degrades the video and thus, removed or destroyed some of the cosmetics that trick our mind into thinking it looks real. Or if they didn't take the time or spend the money to do it right. Or if the broadcast clip wasn't quite finished yet and it has or will go through further renderings before printing it on film.

The same thing happened with the Wargs. They looked good the first time, but a second viewing revealed ugly CGI. I mean, it looked worse than that Anakin scene when he's riding that cow thing in AOTC.
Sounds like the same problem that was evident when CGI-Legolas was standing on top of the cave troll (one of the VERY few complaints I have with Fellowship). It just looked too rubbery and weird.

That scene that showed at the end must not be finished. There's no way that entire few minutes sequence didn't have any music to it, making it seems incomplete to me.

As for the CGI, I was disappointed with treebeard more than anything else. It has been said that when he and the ents move, it's a lot better. Let's hope so. What I saw seem like something they would put at Disneyland on one of the rides.

Yeah, that Legolas getting onto the horse was so cool. I didn't have problem with the CGI there or the Warg Riders. Maybe because I haven't really seen anything better. It's not perfect but will not distract me from the movie. Now let's hope treebeard turns out better in the movie.

The thought the special gave away too many spoilers.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I didn't have problem with the CGI there or the Warg Riders. Maybe because I haven't really seen anything better.
Pretty much my feelings about it. Like the Legolas/Cave Troll bit, the truth is that no movie has ever done an effect like that, with a human interacting with a creature that's not real, in a "photo realistic" way, but LOTR did it as well as its ever been done, IMO. Actually I think the part with Legolas on the troll was the best I've seen. As long as the effects are at least up to a high standard I'm not going to complain.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The New York premiere happened tonight. E! News Live showed some clips of arrivals, talked to Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom and just stood back when Liv Tyler showed up and let the love between Orlando and Live shine on . I mean that I think they're just friends, but very close and loving and wonderful friends, and they hadn't seen each other for months, so they were off into their own little world, hugging and touching each other. Orlando couldn't keep his hands off Liv. It was great!

This aired earlier but I just now watched it. It's going to be repeated twice in the morning, at 6 and 6:30 (central), if I'm not mistaken. Why they run repeats back to back, I don't know. They often edit the repeats, to tighten up the show, add or delete things, so you might not see the same Orlando/Liv friendship fest I did.

E! has a show called "Live From the Red Carpet" which is entirely about premieres, but I don't know if they'll have one for TTT. I take it it's snowing up a storm in NY.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks