What's new

Upcoming The Two Towers/ FOTR-related programming (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated 12/25
I want this to be a catch-all thread regarding upcoming TV appearances and specials relating to The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and I hope others will add things as they learn about them if they're not already listed.
I wasn't watching TV last December and so I missed EVERYTHING. I think the first thing I saw was a repeat of the Fox special in April or something. I'm one who WANTED the August release, because all those extras were new to me.
I'll get the ball rolling. I'll delete these after they've aired and aren't needed anymore.
These showed up on my Tivo, but the machine only gets things I've added to my "Wishlist" if the name I've added (such as "The Two Towers," "Elijah Wood," "Peter Jackson") are listed by the station in the program description. Several shows don't give much (if any) advance notice about guests or features. I'm bound to miss a LOT of stuff, so please help.
These are TV shows that my Tivo made note of. They're not in any specific order.
ALL MY TIMES ARE CENTRAL STANDARD.
CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS.
SYNDICATED means that the program airs at different times on local stations. Check your local listings.
Concerning shows such as E! News Live, Extra, Entertainment Tonight and Access Hollywood, I'll be skimming through shows every day, because they often have snippets and tidbits that aren't listed in their program description. When I list the shows, that means that there was something specifically stated in the program description. I really don't trust their repeats, they figure they can pre-empt and it's no big deal since it's already been on once (iow, I've gotten burned counting on repeats of such shows in the past), so I plan to get the first showings whenever possible.
========
NEW
MNBC (MSNBC?) - National Geographic Explorer. Beyond the Movie: Lord of the Rings
The Lord of the Rings
December 28 - 5:00pm (2 hour show)
December 29 - 4:00am
This is the Nat'l Geo special, in its entirety. It's listed as a 2 hour show because they then have other Nat Geo segments.
=========
NEW
E! - Behind the Scenes
The Two Towers
December 26 - 5:00pm
December 28 6:00am
December 29 2:00am
December 29 6:30am
December 30 2:30am
December 31 6:00am
=========
TEchTV - Must See Marquee
The Two Towers
December 27 8:30am
December 27 5:00pm
December 28 12:00pm
December 29 5:30pm
This takes a look at various holiday movies, including TTT.
=========
NEW
Syndicated - Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn
Sean Astin
December 27 11:37pm
=========
NEW
NBC? - Late Night with Conan O'Brien
Sean Astin
January 3 11:37pm
=========
NEW
WB - Return to Middle Earth
The Two Towers
December 29 8:00pm
This is a repeat of the WB special that aired earlier this month.
=========
NEW
BBC America - French and Saunders
The Fellowship of the Ring
January 2 7:30pm
January 3 2:30am
A parody of the first movie. Uneven, but McKellen and Jackson like it.
==========================================
These are various and sundry movies that I noticed. I never make note of presentations (OAR, commercials, etc.) because that way lies madness (if I tried to keep track of it all). Many of the stations aren't worth a crap to watch movies on, but that's not my business. If it's a mainstream movie I haven't seen, I can probably get the DVD, but if it's a very very obscure movie (like Emma's War) I'll take it however I can get it, rather than not see it at all.
It should be noted that Fellowship is playing on Starz! all this month. Obviously I'm not going to list all the showings for each actor.
Sean Astin - Like Father, Like Son (HBOF) December 26 8:45pm
Sean Astin - Like Father, Like Son (HBOFW) December 26 11:45pm
Sean Astin - Like Father, Like Son (HBO2) December 31 7:45am
Sean Astin - Like Father, Like Son (HBO2W) December 26 10:45am
Sean Astin - Like Father, Like Son (HBOF) January 1 2:25am
Sean Astin - Like Father, Like Son (HBOFW) January 1 5:25am
Sean Astin - Memphis Belle (Action) January 5 4:30am
Sean Astin - Memphis Belle (Action) January 5 3:30pm
Sean Astin - Safe Passage (StarzE) December 28 5:35am
Sean Astin - Safe Passage (StarzW) December 28 8:35am
Sean Astin - Safe Passage (StarzE) December 31 5:15pm
Sean Astin - Safe Passage (StarzW) December 31 8:15pm
Sean Astin - Toy Soldiers (EncoreE) December 29 1:05am
Sean Astin - Toy Soldiers (EncoreE) December 29 4:05am
Cate Blanchett - Paradise Road (Bravo) December 28 3:30pm
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzE) December 26 11:30am
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzW) December 26 2:30pm
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzE) December 26 7:00pm
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzW) December 26 10:00pm
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzE) December 30 1:40pm
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzW) December 30 4:40pm
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzE) December 30 10:00pm
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzW) December 31 1:00am
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzE) January 3 1:05pm
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzW) January 3 4:05pm
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzE) January 3 10:40pm
Cate Blanchett - The Shipping News (StarzW) January 4 1:40am
Brad Dourif - Brown's Requiem (IFC-Independent Film Channel) January 3 8:45pm
Brad Dourif - Brown's Requiem (IFC-Independent Film Channel) January 4 2:45am
Brad Dourif - A Step Toward Tomorrow (Hallmark) January 3 11:00pm
Ian McKellen - The Ballad of Little Jo (True) December 29 2:15pm
Ian McKellen - The Ballad of Little Jo (True) December 29 10:00pm
Ian McKellen - Saturday Night Live (E!) December 30 6:00pm
Ian McKellen - Scandal (True) December 31 8:45pm
Viggo Mortensen - The Prophecy (EncoreE) December 27 10:50pm
Viggo Mortensen - The Prophecy (EncoreW) December 27 1:50am
Viggo Mortensen - The Prophecy (EncoreE) December 30 12:30pm
Viggo Mortensen - The Prophecy (EncoreW) December 30 3:30pm
Viggo Mortensen - The Prophecy (EncoreE) December 31 12:35am
Viggo Mortensen - The Prophecy (EncoreW) December 31 3:35am
Viggo Mortensen - The Prophecy (Action) January 3 7:20pm
Viggo Mortensen - The Prophecy (Action) January 4 12:15am
Viggo Mortensen - Witness (EncoreE) December 28 12:05pm
Viggo Mortensen - Witness (EncoreW) December 28 3:05pm
Viggo Mortensen - Witness (EncoreE) December 28 7:00pm
Viggo Mortensen - Witness (EncoreW) December 28 10:00pm
Viggo Mortensen - Witness (StarzT) January 3 11:05pm
Viggo Mortensen - Witness (StarzT) January 4 7:05am
Viggo Mortensen - Witness (StarzT) January 4 3:05pm
Viggo Mortensen - Witness (StarzT) January 4 11:05pm
Viggo Mortensen - Witness (StarzT) January 5 7:05am
Viggo Mortensen - Witness (StarzT) January 5 3:05pm
Miranda Otto - Dead Letter Office (WE) December 31 3:00pm
I started to add Christopher Lee and John Rhys-Davies to the Tivo, but they have SO many things out that it would take up all my time to sort the old movies and TV shows out of the mix, and use up all my Tivo hard drive space (if I didn't endlessly delete) to boot. Sorry guys, I can't do a Wishlist of your names.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
This list is awesome! Thanks Vickie. I'm getting so excited about the Two Towers.
It's not TV related, but the soundtrack comes out on Dec 10. :)
Gregory

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Greg!

I watched the Sean Astin Dinner for Five and it dates from right after the movie was released, and they do talk about it a few times. Tidbit: Sean's daughter was one of the Hobbit children!

I'm looking forward to the soundtrack! I've heard a few cuts and they're gorgeous.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Great work Vickie! Hope I can add to the list but you seem to have gotten off to an excellent start.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys, you make me feel not so much of a geek now. :D
www.theonering.net just added this:
--
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: 'RETURN TO MIDDLE EARTH' SPECIAL
Xoanon @ 10:33 am EST
The WB is thrilled to present an exclusive behind-the-scenes preview special for the year's most anticipated feature film - "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers." The first chapter in the "Rings" trilogy grossed over $900 million worldwide and became a pop culture phenomenon.
"Return to Middle Earth" follows the celebrated "Rings" cast as they return to New Zealand to shoot additional footage for the upcoming movie, "The Two Towers." Each cast member gives his/her personal take on the arduous three-year shoot and what is was like to be part of this historic filmmaking experience.
Viewers will get to know the people behind the films' amazing, heroic characters through a series of interviews with cast members Ian McKellan, Elijah Wood, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen and Orlando Bloom (winner of this year's MTV Movie Award for 'Breakthrough Performance'). The audience will also be treated to multiple world-premiere clips from "The Two Towers," including an extended look at the film's climactic battle scene.
This one-hour special will air on December 4 at 8 p.m. ET.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I don't have satellite OR cable, so won't be able to catch most or all of the things Vickie listed.

Also, I will purposely miss the WB special. I want to go into TTT as fresh as possible, and my experience with before-release TV specials is that they tend to have tons of spoilers, even if inadvertant ones.

BTW, just finished watching all of the extras on the EE of FotR - I am TOTALLY stoked for TTT!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
OK, nothing against Bloom. He was fine. But COME ON!!! Breakthrough Performance?!? Oh wait... it's MTV. Nevermind. For a second there I thought it was a REAL award.

Can't wait til' December!

Rob T

Screenwriter
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: 'RETURN TO MIDDLE EARTH' SPECIAL
Xoanon @ 10:33 am EST
The WB is thrilled to present an exclusive behind-the-scenes preview special for the year's most anticipated feature film - "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers." The first chapter in the "Rings" trilogy grossed over $900 million worldwide and became a pop culture phenomenon.
"Return to Middle Earth" follows the celebrated "Rings" cast as they return to New Zealand to shoot additional footage for the upcoming movie, "The Two Towers." Each cast member gives his/her personal take on the arduous three-year shoot and what is was like to be part of this historic filmmaking experience.
Viewers will get to know the people behind the films' amazing, heroic characters through a series of interviews with cast members Ian McKellan, Elijah Wood, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen and Orlando Bloom (winner of this year's MTV Movie Award for 'Breakthrough Performance'). The audience will also be treated to multiple world-premiere clips from "The Two Towers," including an extended look at the film's climactic battle scene.
This one-hour special will air on December 4 at 8 p.m. ET.
It'll be narrated by Michael Rosenbaum(sp?), too. :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
According to TheOneRing Extra will have a segment on Viggo this Monday:
Warner Brothers' EXTRA announced tonight that Monday they would have a "sneak peek at The Two Towers with the movie's sexy hero".
Check local listings in your area.:emoji_thumbsup:

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I started to add Christopher Lee and John Rhys-Davies to the Tivo, but they have SO many things out that it would take up all my time to sort the old movies and TV shows out of the mix, and use up all my Tivo hard drive space (if I didn't endlessly delete) to boot. Sorry guys, I can't do a Wishlist of your names.
According to the Oracle of Bacon, Christopher Lee has the lowest average "Bacon" type number, making him the center of the (Hollywood) Universe. It is wise to not wish list him.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with a few things. I'm not listing Actor movies with "New" because it changes all the time.
I'd urge anyone with Sundance to check out The Price of Milk with Karl Urban (Eomer). It's a very cute, twisted little love story (Down Unders do those so well!) and anyone who becomes a fan of Urban after TTT will want to see it.
Thanks for the tip on Extra Lou. I've added Extra, Access Hollywood and Entertainment Tonight to my Season Pass list, figuring there would be tidbits practically every day now.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. Ian McKellan played the Grim Reaper who steps out of the movie "The Seventh Sign" into the real world. He only has about two lines.
Thanks! I need to watch that movie again, I haven't seen it for ages. We loved it, though it bombed big time.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I loved it too. It was a very clever story. Not even John McTiernan's own prior work (such as Die Hard) was immune to the parody. And it wasn't a complete bomb, it just didn't measure up to its competition that summer, Jurassic Park.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The EXTRA thing was a big bust. There were teasers for "exclusive footage" or somesuch throughout the show, but they only showed a few seconds more of the scene where Aragorn tells Theoden that the Orcs are coming ("they will be here before nightfall"). It was so insubstantial that I didn't even dub it off before deleting it from my Tivo. There will be bigger and better things to come. I'm not so much interested in scenes from the movie, I've seen enough and I now just want to see stuff in context when I watch the film. I'm much more interested in actor/director/writer/anybody interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The EXTRA thing was a big bust. There were teasers for "exclusive footage" or somesuch throughout the show, but they only showed a few seconds more of the scene where Aragorn tells Theoden that the Orcs are coming ("they will be here before nightfall"). It was so insubstantial that I didn't even dub it off before deleting it from my Tivo.
Yeah, like that "EXCLUSIVE TWO TOWERS FOOTAGE ON AOL!" that was so heavily advertised last week. I downloaded it off TOR.N and it's just them running across the plains of the Mark and saying a couple lines to the effect of: "Man, this running shit sucks. I sure am tired." And then a little more running. I laughed my ass off that that was what all the fuss was over.

I'm looking foward to the WB special... does anyone know if it'll be in the vein of "The Quest for the Ring" that was on FOX last year, or will it be a bit more substantial?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The Entertainment Tonight was a bust. The blurb said "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers cast" but there wasn't anything about LOTR at all. Not one word. I kept the repeat on the list because who knows, it might not be the same show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks