What's new

Universal: Will we ever see Babe in original aspect ratio? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
At some point I would like to own this film on DVD.

As the existing DVD has been "formatted to fit your screen," I regard it as little more than a coaster. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Widescreen anamorphic transfer anyone?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
For the benefit of any studio reps who may be reading, Jeff is being sarcastic. :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am hoping the wait for this can be explained by the revelation that Universal is prepping the special edition that was rumoured many years ago. OAR, commentary, special effects docs, etc. T'would be nice.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
How this movie can exist on DVD in this mangled state simply boggles my mind. It's a modern classic that was nominated for best picture for cryin' out loud!
I'm sure Universal will one day remedy this oversight, and I'll be first in line to buy one.

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
And, since we are talking Universal here, I'd like to add similiar sentiments about Parenthood.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Considering how successful this was and considering Universal's propensity for Ultimate Editions and dual releases, I'm shocked this hasn't received a proper release. I'd buy it if released in its proper OAR, but as it stands, the current disc might as well not exist.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
and what is even more surprising is doing a dts version in a 4x3 format. Just who are you marketing towards Universal?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'll say this much, I want to buy Babe, but I have skipped it on DVD so far. I even want to buy Babe: Pig In the City, and though there isn't the same problem with this release, I don't see a point in buying it without BABE. So the current Babe situation loses Universal 2 sales on my behalf.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'll support the fight to release any and all films in oar...but damn...it's babe?!

kevin t

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I think he's expressing his shock that Babe, of all films isn't provided in OAR :D
Was Babe not nominated for Best Picture in it's year?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Was Babe not nominated for Best Picture in it's year?
Yes, it was.

And it's a very good film regardless. The fact that the protagonist happens to be a talking pig doesn't diminish this in the slightest or make it somehow unworthy of a proper presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks