What's new

Universal, we might have a problem - Children of Men (pls. ignore posts before #22) (1 Viewer)

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob

Amen. AVS is full of crazies and the avg 6 yr old has more intelligence and maturity than the fools who bicker back and forth in the next gen forums there.

I will never understand how someone can become so attached to a format designed around 1s and 0s to go and act like a schoolgirl/cheelereader over it and slam the other format like it is the devil. I guess those people have very boring and pathetic lives.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus

There does seem to be serious issues with this title. See the thread at AVS. It is not just with the XBOX add on. I have XA2 with latest firmware and the disc freezes at about Chapter 16 or 17. Then, after 30-40 seconds the screen goes blank and error box appears ..."This disc cannot be played...Error ___"
On second plat attempt the same thing happen again at near but not same location.

There needs to be a serious thread on this issue. This thread is useless to the problem and a burden to those looking for serious information.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Yes it does appear to be a genuine issue. With some reporting that it plays on their equipment it would appear that maybe it is a case of bad discs?

I'm just trying to have fun. At this point if either one of these formats dies off I'm not really going to feel sorry for anyone, including myself. There will be plenty of sw at that point that one of us early adopters really would have no business pissing and moaning.

I really didn't mean to cause this much mental anguish. Next time I'll let an HD owner start the thread.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
OK.
Apology accepted, captain Brett. :)

Let's give this thread a fresh start from here on. Please post about problems you encounter with this Children of Men release.
Please, also state the player you used (or tested it in)!

Posts about "probemless" discs are welcome too (include your player!)

Thanks.

loganhunter2002

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Logan Hunter
I got the same error message on my XA2. I am using the 1.3 Firmware. Must be a bad batch of disc. Amazon is sending me a replacement. Well for Children of Men, my XA2 is unable to play Chapter 12. It would cause an error saying:

Cannot play the disc.
Error code: 408bc504

Anyone got this message?

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus

Based upon AVS posts most people reporting problem seem to have discs sourced from Amazon. It might be useful for HTF members to post source as well as if problems or not. Some report no problems.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I received mine from Amazon and it played fine on my A1, save for one split-second audio drop-out. Even though it was a pretty error-free viewing, it's still kind of annoying to be expecting some type of issue throughout the movie. I loved the film, but I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if I weren't on edge dreading some sort of problem.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is the same error message I'm getting with the same equipment and vendor. However, I haven't updated my firmware so it appears to not be a problem with the 1.3 firmware.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, I got my copy from Amazon this afternoon. I have the XBox HD-DVD drive. I played the first 5 minutes or so, and what I saw was a continual hesitiation in the video - as if it were being streamed over a network connection with not quite enough bandwidth to keep up. I've never seen this in any of the 30+ other discs I own (indeed, we had just finished watching Happy Feet - an absolutely flawless disc - prior to trying CoM).

Anyone else seen this particular behavior??

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Got my copy from Amazon.com yesterday. I couldn't watch the whole movie yet, so I played the start of the movie and the beginning of chapter 12 on my Toshiba HD-A1. No problem at all. I have version 2.0 of the firmware installed.

When I've watched the whole movie (soon!), I will report back.

Cees

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
The problem is not Amazon related. I bought mine at Best Buy and am having problems playing it in my 360 add-on. The disk is unreadable unless I insert/eject the disk 3 or 4 times. When the disk is succesdully read, though, I don't have any problems afterwards!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We already know that Amazon isn't the source of the problem unless they started producing the discs for Universal.;)

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
For what it's worth, I watched my copy earlier today (from Amazon) on my Xbox HD DVD player. It worked fine. I checked out each of the extras to see if they loaded (though didn't sit through any of them) and they all worked fine as well. So, I guess I lucked out. :)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I bought my copy yesterday at Best Buy. The HD-DVD side WILL NOT PLAY in my Toshiba A1. It stops directly after the Universal logo finishes, at second 32. What do I do now?

loganhunter2002

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Logan Hunter
Alright, I got my replacement and still doesn't work. Might be just a problem with the XA2 and firmware ver 1.3?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As I stated earlier, my XA2 doesn't have the firmware ver 1.3 and I'm having the same problem. Also, others have stated similar problems with the XA1.

loganhunter2002

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Logan Hunter

Funny thing is that it plays fine on my A2 with ver 1.2. CoM won't play at all on my XA2. This time I get the message disc not DVD format. Huh??? :confused:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Strange phenomenon for sure....haven't watched my copy yet...wanting it to be the first disc played or not played it might be ;) on my new forthcoming XA-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks