What's new

Universal Catalog Releases 6/12/2018 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Casual Sex?

92212_large.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZJ72BP/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1525917094&sr=1-3&keywords=universal+studio+blu+ray&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin:2650305011,p_n_date:2693529011

Junior

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZ8L861/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1525917094&sr=1-5&keywords=universal+studio+blu+ray&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin:2650305011,p_n_date:2693529011

More American Graffiti

130967_large.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZ8S4X1/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1525917094&sr=1-4&keywords=universal+studio+blu+ray&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin:2650305011,p_n_date:2693529011

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
It’s vastly inferior to the original film but I’ll pick up More American Grafitti. The Milner (Paul Le Mat) sequences are fun and compelling in the second film. He was my favorite character from the original.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Universal's catalog releases are largely recyclings. They unearth so little fresh material from their vast catalog that I frankly won't be choosy in terms of quality if they finally release some desired titles. Alas, the Universal Vault Collection is long since kaput.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
How about THE HEIRESS? ICEMAN? MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS? ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS? Anthony Mann westerns? THIS ISLAND EARTH....God, the list is almost as long as that of missing Paramount titles. But, at least, Universal is giving us something, and you can't say that about dem other guys!

Last edited:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
That's not surprising when you consider the majority of releases on that label seemed to get a pressed release after a few months or more.

Which goes to my point that Universal's predilection is to recycle the same titles, leaving a substantial portion of their library untouched. There may be legit reasons for this, but lacking a customer-facing line of communications with fans of their catalog titles -- in contrast to Warner Archive -- we're left guessing. I loved their horror and sci-fi collection releases of years ago but I've gotten very few pleasant surprises from Universal over the past decade.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
How about THE HEIRESS? ICEMAN? MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS? ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS? Anthony Mann westerns? THIS ISLAND EARTH....God, the list is almost as long as that of missing Paramount titles. But, at least, Universal is giving us something, and you can't say that about dem other guys!

I picked up the German blu of This Island Earth, and it's not bad -- though I'm sure a lovingly produced US blu might be better.

And I'd say other studios are giving us at least as much (pound-for-pound) output as Universal.... it's just that they're doing it via deals with independent labels that specialize in catalog titles. Case in point: Kino's deal with Paramount. I'd like to see more such deals by Universal.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Universal should release UFOria (1985) with Cindy Williams and Fred Ward. Funny film currently available on VHS tape and not on dvd. One of the reasons I still have a vhs player.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd prefer more stuff from the period 1948-1968 but that's just because it's my personal favorite period for film. Anything prior to 1948 is also welcome.
That's roughly the era/years I consider to be "catalog" titles. But, yeah... I'm not so up for anything released after ~1969. Not that there's not some good stuff but it just seems like the pre-1970 output from "Hollywood" is far superior to much of what came after that year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks