What's new

Pre-Order Paint Your Wagon (1969) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91k14bgs-pL._SL1500_.jpg 910ubKb6-rL._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I’m ‘aving that :) I’m pleased to see that Kino is including the standard Blu-ray in with the 4K, a lot of the studios have stopped doing that.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I will happily purchase this. I have an affection for this film. I have a very happy memory of seeing this with my family. My parents laughed and laughed and my brother and I were in stitches when the town collapses. My Dad usually liked drive-ins, but for some reason, we saw this at, I believe, The Wilshire Theater on Wilshire Blvd. The screen was huge and so was the sound. The alpine setting looked gorgeous on that screen. True, Lee and Clint are not singers, but Harve Presnell sings the one song that really needs a big voice. I still listen to the soundtrack album and enjoy it. The sound quality of the MCA CD is great.

(On a side note, I am also a fan of the stage show, which is quite different. City Center Encores made a fantastic recording of the stage score in 2015 - highly recommended for anyone who likes that score.)

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I will happily purchase this. I have an affection for this film. I have a very happy memory of seeing this with my family. My parents laughed and laughed and my brother and I were in stitches when the town collapses. My Dad usually liked drive-ins, but for some reason, we saw this at, I believe, The Wilshire Theater on Wilshire Blvd. The screen was huge and so was the sound. The alpine setting looked gorgeous on that screen. True, Lee and Clint are not singers, but Harve Presnell sings the one song that really needs a big voice. I still listen to the soundtrack album and enjoy it. The sound quality of the MCA CD is great.

(On a side note, I am also a fan of the stage show, which is quite different. City Center Encores made a fantastic recording of the stage score in 2015 - highly recommended for anyone who likes that score.)
When the movie premiered it was at the Hollywood Cinerama Dome. We drove an hour to see it there and found evening performances were sold out for weeks.
We didn't return home disappointed though because Goodbye Mr Chips was playing at the Wilshire and was wonderful in a completely different way. Now if we can only get a nice HD print of Chips!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
When the movie premiered it was at the Hollywood Cinerama Dome. We drove an hour to see it there and found evening performances were sold out for weeks.
We didn't return home disappointed though because Goodbye Mr Chips was playing at the Wilshire and was wonderful in a completely different way. Now if we can only get a nice HD print of Chips!

Played at the Dome 10/22/69 - 06/22/70 - https://incinerama.com/ctdome.htm

1707241405912.png

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I saw that particular show, and own the cast album. Absolutely wonderful! Watching the film, you’d have a hard time imagining it was derived from that fabulous 1940’s stage production.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Pre-order tickets by mail??? I have never seen that before!
It was standard for road show movies in the 1960's. In NY the NY Times Sunday Section 2 had big ads for movies with an area where you could cut out the order form to purchase mail order tickets sometimes a few months up to a year in advance. It was a big deal going to the city to watch a film.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It was standard for road show movies in the 1960's. In NY the NY Times Sunday Section 2 had big ads for movies with an area where you could cut out the order form to purchase mail order tickets sometimes a few months up to a year in advance. It was a big deal going to the city to watch a film.
Yes, it was the same in the U.K. Better than having to make a journey into central London just to buy a ticket.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Lee Marvin’s singing works fine for me. I think I remember reading that Lee Marvin jumped ship from The Wild Bunch to make this, which worked out very well, as Paint Your Wagon would be unthinkable without him (I don’t think I’d be buying it) & his replacement William Holden gave a career best performance in The Wild Bunch. I don’t think that Clint Eastwood made much of an impression in this, & his singing voice is nothing to write home about (I’m not a huge Eastwood fan - sorry if you’re reading this Clint).

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Pretty cool that Kino gets to release this one, it should look and sound great.

Lee Marvin had a way of talking through his "songs" that worked very well for him and he adds a lot to the movie.
As for Clint Eastwood he pretty much looks and sounds out of place to me but after getting over that the movie is good fun - looking forward to it!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Pretty cool that Kino gets to release this one, it should look and sound great.
Yup, it amazing that this is not one of the Paramount Presents releases, but then that line petered out in no time at all (the odd release every now & again). Oh well, good for Kino, but as these Paramount releases don't seem to be turning up outside of America, I can't see the need for region locking (Paramount Presents were never locked), I do have a multi-region player.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I saw that particular show, and own the cast album. Absolutely wonderful! Watching the film, you’d have a hard time imagining it was derived from that fabulous 1940’s stage production.
I dislike all of the film adaptations of L&L Broadway shows. This is maybe the worst, but oddly, I find it somewhat more watchable than the other 2. Maybe because I like the other two as stage shows better than this one? It is fun, and, at least, they went outside. Alan Jay Lerner produced it, so I guess he got what he wanted.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I recently saw Brigadoon in bluray with the sound through my stereo system and it was so much better than I had ever seen it before. On tv it was always pretty bad. I watched it twice when I rarely have time to see a bluray once. I have quite a pile of still wrapped dvds. One problem it was so cut. Arthur Freed was in his get it in under two hour moods which was ridiculous. This film could have really used the cut scenes and songs. It must have been wonderful to see it when it opened at the Music Hall on its 2.55 CinemaScope screen.

My Fair Lady is a real dazzler. Both an intimate drama and a musical spectacle. They managed it. And made it a beautiful classic.
Of course we have little idea what it was like with its opening night cast in New Haven but recollections. But Sondheim said it was the most enjoyable evening he spent in the theater.

Camelot another disappointment which in its bluray incarnation is so much better. Redgrave has to be one of the most beautiful women in a film in this movie. And Truscott is astounding. My real problem with the film is Richard Harris. There were so many great British actors at the time his casting was a real misstep.

Paint Your Wagon was another TV dud. Then for some reason I went to see it in 70mm blow up with 6 track stereo at the Warner Cinerama. Absolutely terrific.
I saw it on stage at Encores and thought the original musical as presented there was terrible. No James Barton, no Agnes DeMille choreography (I imagine it is lost) and no magnificent men's chorus as in the film(it is so important to that score!) which is impossible on stage. And I love both Barton and Marvin singing Wanderin' Star.

Just noticed that the film has gone from the '69 M to a PG13 rating. And yes I know there was no such thing when it opened.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Oh that 6 track score in a great theater equipped with a great sound system! When the men at the beginning start whispering Gold, gold, and it just grows louder... All those Western speakers destroyed with the theaters they belonged to. Sad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks