What's new

Universal Bringing Classic Woody Woodpecker Cartoons on DVD (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
...as well as some other classics from Walter Lantz Studios.

Jerry Beck just posted the following over at the Cartoon Brew web site:

Regards,

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow!

This is shaping up to be a banner year for animation on DVD.

Woody Woodpecker (Lantz) from Universal
Popeye (Fleischer) from WB
Looney Tunes from WB
Droopy (MGM) from WB

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yes probably the biggest year for classic animation!

Here's hoping this is just Volume One of a few that will collect all remaining shorts.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like an awesome set. Can't wait. I always found the Walter Lantz Cartoons to be the un-justly so underdogs in the classic cartoon world. Sure the late 50's into the 70's output was mediocre like most theatrical cartoons during that time but the 1940's to the mid 50's were great. I hope this does see a vol. 2 as there will be plenty left for it.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Bigger version of the cover, which I find is a bit of a letdown but what are you gonna do:

And here is the official press release.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Wow!

Woody Woodpecker was my grandpa's favorite, we used to watch his cartoons quite a lot when I was a little tyke (his second favorite was Road Runner, so guess what my two favorites were...)

I'll definitely be picking at least one copy of this up, and probably another for my niece. :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Great price compared to Popeye and the Looney Tunes. More for less.
Bring it on.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Not to forget the Disney Treasures, plus the already released Ant & Aardvark complete collection.

DaveK

Second Unit
I wonder if Scrub Me Mama with a Boogie Beat will be in this boxset....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Corey

Screenwriter
I LOVED Woody Woodpecker when I was little. I watched him all the time. I remember when my mom went to Universal Studios, she brought me a Woody Woodpecker stuffed animal. I'll be getting this along with my first Looney Tune Collection( I have to buy the first 4 volumes).

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
If I can afford this set when it comes out, I'll buy it. I used to love watching Woody and I think my nephews will enjoy them now.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If its 75 cartoons plus extras on only three discs, I kinda hope that they are double sided. Otherwise we are looking at almost three hours of animation plus extras on each DVD-9 disc.

Regards,

WadeM

Supporting Actor

I wish Universal would increase the number of discs in the set, otherwise, you're right...we're gonna have to have double-sided discs for anything decent.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

PLEASE UNIVERSAL - Use extra discs!!!

This release has me really excited, but if it's released on double-sided discs, then this is a rental at best. I really want to add this to my collection, but I refuse to go through the replacement nightmare that is nearly guaranteed from buying Universal DVD-18s.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I think Universal has stopped using DVD-18s. But why won't three hours fit on a DVD-9? I'm confused.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
It'll fit, but just not what I prefer. I'm really just glad to have all of this on DVD in the first place!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks