What's new

Universal Best of the 80s (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have just noticed that Universal is releasing four 2-Disc "Best of" compilations from 1980s television series:

Magnum PI

Miami Vice

Knight Rider

The A-Team

In the case of Magnum PI and Miami Vice, the releases say they're including the pilot episodes and the 2 hour finales.
They have not indicated what the other episodes are, although the Miami Vice release includes notes that they'll have eps with Julia Roberts ("Mirror Image"), Jimmy Smits (the pilot), and Ving Rhames (could be one of three different eps from the 1st, 3rd or 4th seasons...).

For myself, I actually collected the entire series of Magnum and Miami Vice as a fan of both shows. I could see someone wanting to pick up these compilations if they wanted a sampling of good episodes without having to buy entire seasons or the entire series.

The real question now is what episodes they've picked to represent each series.

Humbly, I submit the following as my own preferences for the first two shows - I don't know the other two series.

Magnum PI

-Don't Eat The Snow in Hawaii (2 Hour Pilot)

-Memories Are Forever (2 Hour ep from 2nd Season)

-Did You See The Sunrise (2 Hour ep from 3rd Season)

-Home From the Sea (1 Hour 4th Season Premiere)

-Deja Vu (2 Hour 6th Season Premiere set in London)

-Little Girl Who (7th Season ep, following up on Memories Are Forever)

-Limbo (7th Season finale - and the original, better ending for the series)

Miami Vice

-2 Hour Pilot Movie (sometimes retitled to "Brother's Keeper")

-Hit List (1 Hour ep from 1st Season)

-Calderone's Demise (1 Hour ep from 1st Season)

-Smuggler's Blues (1 Hour ep from 1st Season)

-Rites of Passage (1 Hour ep from 1st Season)

-Out Where The Buses Don't Run (1 Hour ep from 2nd Season)

-Bushido (1 Hour ep from 2nd Season)

-Payback (1 hour ep from 2nd Season)

-Mirror Image (1 Hour 4th Season finale - and the original, better ending for the series)

I'll be curious to see what actually appears on these compilations, but I don't know that any actual episode lists have been submitted.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
What a joke! This could have been BJ and the Bear,In Search Of or any other show that Universal hasn't yet released on DVD.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I wasn't aware that BJ & The Bear had a following...

In Search Of is actually a 70s TV show. I still remember all the kids in my neighborhood having nightmares after the "Curse of King Tut" episode...

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by Kevin EK

In Search Of is actually a 70s TV show. I still remember all the kids in my neighborhood having nightmares after the "Curse of King Tut" episode...
I would love to see In Search Of released. According to IMDB, it was produced by something called Alan Landsberg Productions. Personally, I think it would be most practical to have Mill Creek release it, but it would be nice if they could keep the original music. That added a lot to the show.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Originally Posted by Kevin EK
It has an unreleased rank of 22 at TVSoD and is said to be Universal's highest ranked show not out yet on DVD. So,obviously,it does have a following.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
This is probably operator error on my part, but I'm unable to bring up the list at TV Shows on DVD. Is there a specific page for this on that site, or do you need to be a registered member to see it?

Of course, it's also possible that Bear was doing the typing for me...

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
You need to vote for it. Once you do you'll be able to see its unreleased and overall rank,with a breakdown of votes for season sets,best ofs or individual episodes. You'll also see the total number of voters who voted for that show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks