What's new

Universal announces full rez over Component for HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Well I give credit to BD (each studio, except for WB) for this.
Never thought it would happen & now don't think it will last long. However, enjoy it while you can!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
In other words yet another upside to the format war. :)

This is nothing but good news, even if some BD partisans are probably muttering about it under their breath.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Considering how long it took Spielberg to adopt DVD...I wouldn't hold my breath for any of his movies to hit any HD format soon.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Now all Universal has to do is announce some actual titles and release dates.

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
Pete, is there something more substantial than that link that says this? All that link seems to say to me is the same thing, that Universal won't initially use downrez (and I say initially because like it or not, it's always an option for them, even if they say they will never use it).

Specifically in regards to the titles. I can't see where they have promised that they are specifically releasing works by those directors without downrez, or do you just mean those are universal titles?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I was afraid someone would post that! :-o
Yes, I really do not think this would have come about with the only the original HD-DVD Promotion Group handling our (near) future HD format.
After all, I've been patting myself on the back this whole time because I "knew" HD meant HDCP. ;-)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've also heard rumors that Universal may announce dual-support for both formats soon...but nothing official has come forth...

In any case...great news about the lack of downresing! I do agree that this is an up-shot of the format war...or at least some healthy competition among the studios now to "look good" in the eyes of the consumers.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Just a bump...
To contend with that falsely titled sticky, that no one has posted on for over two months!
Ugh.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The same thing they were smoking when they first released catalog titles on DVD.

Besides, the street price will be $23 or less... I'll be watching Serenity in HD next week. How about you?

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks