What's new

Underworld 2 (1 Viewer)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Markus wings and features are a result of him being a hybrid. Again, he's more Vampyre than Lycan, yet still a hybrid. Michael is the reversal, more Lycan than Vampyre.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Oops!

Thanks for pointing that out. I got it temporarily confused with another film I was reading about recently.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I guess I don't understand why Marcus would get wings from being a Lycan hybrid since Lycans don't have them. :confused:

(and if being a hybrid was all that was necessary, shouldn't Michael have them?)

I'm thinking it's more along the lines of being the original vampire since the only creature between wolf and bat to have wings is...bat.

Just my guess though, based on no actual information :D

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, they could have taken out that little line about Markus being a hybrid, and nothing would have been lost at all. Instead, it just complicates things, as I thought that Michael was special because there had never been a hybrid before. That's really my biggest complaint with the film, but I digress.

As for the movie as a whole, I enjoyed it. As others have said, it really does a good job of expanding on the previous film. Even though it's wishful thinking, I hope they leave it alone with two, as the story is pretty well wrapped up, and a prequel doesn't really interest me (the flashback at the beginning of this one was enough for me).

Also, is it just me, or do Markus and Lucian look really similar? At the beginning, I thought Markus was Lucian, and couldn't figure out what he was going hanging around with Viktor.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
"I guess I don't understand why Marcus would get wings from being a Lycan hybrid since Lycans don't have them.

(and if being a hybrid was all that was necessary, shouldn't Michael have them?)"

Markus is a hybrid, meaning half-Vampyre and half-Lycan. But, he was already a Vampyre. When the Lycan blood dripped down to his resting place and because he has the blood of Corvinus, he mutated to the creature we saw in the film. The Vampyre features are the more dominant features because he was already a Vampyre. In the universe, Vampyres don't do anything special except have superhuman strength.

Michael is a hybrid but of different form. Michael's blood had not been tainted by either Vampyre or Lycan when the first film began. but, he cared the blood trait of Corvinus. When Lucian bit him in film one, he naturally became Lycan but he never fully realized that because Lucian prevented the change as to extract blood from Michael in order to create hybrid within himself. Still, Lycan ran through Michael's blood.

When Selene bit him, he turned into a hybrid. Now, he's a perfect mixture of Lycan and Vampyre. Whereas, Markus is not because he was a Vampyre for so long....

Ed Speir IV

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think Markus was a hybrid originally...he became a hybrid when he was awoken early because of the Lycan's blood that seeped into his coffin (the one that Viktor killed in the first movie)....

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
^Right. That's exactly how he became a hybrid. All I was stating is that his hybrid form is more Vampyre dominant because he already was a Vampyre to begin with. With Michael, he's a perfect union of both species.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No, I *get* how Marcus is a hybrid.

What I don't get is why being given Lycan blood would give him wings? There's no Lycan with wings, and Lycan being based on wolf...well I'm sure wolves don't have wings either.

But bats do.

That's what I'm getting at. I'm saying perhaps he would have had the wings *regardless* of being a hybrid perhaps because he was "the first" vampire and, I dunno, was closer to the pure bat form (like how William was closer to a mindless wolf/werewolf than his progeny).

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
This is how I look at it: He got the wings because his blood and body mutated because he became a hybrid. But, because he was already a vampyre, the vampyre side is more dominant than the lycan side, which gave him more bat-like features....as a hybrid...

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I've been skimming, since I haven't seen the movie yet, but apparently Wiseman does have ideas for a sequel:

"There's a sequel as well as full prequel ideas. There are aspects of this one that absolutely could carry over. And there's a lot of stuff that's still being discovered and uncovered about [the characters] that's in this film that we always knew we were going to do in the first one."

http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/...p?Article=2443

JasonRH

Second Unit
I was thinking along the lines of Carlos' thinking - perhaps Marcus already had wings before becoming a "hybrid", since he is the "master" vampire.

Anyway, enjoyed the first one and enjoyed the second one :)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
And the wings were a pretty nifty 'get over here' weapon to boot. :D

I really liked the first one and this one was no different. Some great action, decent mythology, Beckinsale. :b

My only qualm was that they did a few too many little flashbacks to the previous movie.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully we'll get more footage on the DVD (doesn't that seem to be the rule rather than the exception nowadays?). The first movie ran 121 theatrically and 133 on the DC DVD, and this movie ran 105! If there is more footage, especially if it expands the mythology, I can't wait to see it--even if it's not re-cut into the movie, then as a deleted scenes menu.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
It wouldn't surprise me if they follow the same format with Evolution on home video that they did with Underworld. The theatrical cut on DVD/HD in May then 5 months later, the extended cut on DVD/HD.

Still with the capacity of HD, Wiseman should really cut the two films together, tinker with it a bit and release it on HD and see what people think about it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

So much for that theory. ;) (U:E dropped about 70% on Friday, to third place behind Big Momma and McPhee)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I actually appreciated the Kraven scene. It was like the makers giving a nod to the fans who hated his acting from the first one and "giving us what we wanted." It was cathartic to see ;)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I'm simply amazed. I had no idea so many people wanted to see Martin Lawrence run around in fat suit drag.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I liked the first movie and went in ready to have some fun with this sequel...but I didnt expect to LOVE this one so much!

I don't know, everything just clicked for me with this one:

They expand the story a lot more (I don't call this a thin plot) as they answered a lot of questions from the first movie and posed some more.

The gore ratio just went through the roof with this one.

Lots of action, guns and even better...hand to hand combat.

Kate is just so friggin' hot.

The Selene - Michael chemistry. This is my favorite single aspect of the movie. We have this special, one-of-a-kind hybrid character (Michael) which in any other movie would be the central character/hero but here, he's sort of like a bad-ass sidekick. I was actually sad to see Michael "dead" but was ecstatic when the hints were there that he would come back to life to once again fight shoulder to shoulder with Selena.

The last confrontation with Michael vs William and Selena vs Markus.

Damn this was good. It surprised the hell out of me. Bring on a sequel. I might be in the minority but I think there's plenty of material to use for more sequels. Selena and Michael could take on the carebears and I'd still watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks