What's new

underrated actors/roles (1 Viewer)

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
I think the most under-rated performance of all time is Val Kilmer in The Doors. He deserved, at the very least, on Oscar nomination.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
James,
You're right. For some reason I was thinking he won for Fargo, but he was only nominated.

James RD

Supporting Actor
JohnRice - I think I caught that because it always sticks in my mind. Macy should have won for Fargo.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Maybe not as underated, but Cary Elwes has played a wide variety of different roles very well. He definetly has not gotten the credit he deserves.

I also second David Morse, William H. Macy, Jennifer Connely, and Don Cheadle.

I think the best, and most often times overlooked, are the actors who you are surprised to find out played both charactor 'w' in movie 'x', and charactor 'y' in movie 'z', even when the roles don't involve heavy makeup. I would put Sam Rockwell in that catagory.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to agree on Cary Elwes. I have always admired his work. I think his main limitation is a generally poor choice of movies. Not to gang up on the talent challenged, but I think Dracula would have been significantly better if he had played Keanu Reeves' character. Don't get me wrong. I don't think Keanu is entirely incompetent. He was good in Parenthood and River's Edge, but they are both the same character. C'mon Donny, you had to know you were setting yourself up. ;)

Gareth Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
Can't believe I forgot Macy! Another one that springs to mind is Sam Shepard - from 'Days Of Heaven' through 'The Right Stuff' and now 'Black Hawk Down', he always has great screen presence.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Oprah Winfrey and Whoopie Goldberg in The Colour Purple. Both under-rated performances.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
chris rock is underrated as an actor since he gets shitty parts.

"hey, i know kung fu." reeves sucks and that is an order and the cheesiest lines in cinema history

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks