What's new

International To My Eyes...SCARS OF DRACULA from the UK (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
81trSggGLZL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm a true Christopher Lee/Dracula/Hammer fan, although I have avoided and will continue to avoid DRACULA A.D. 1972, because I just don't want to see his character appearing in a contemporary setting. Second only to the original 1958 DRACULA, I consider SCARS to be the best of the Lee/Hammer titles. It's stylish, quite gory, well-acted and beautifully photographed.

I like the idea of Dracula having a daytime resting place that is only accessible through a window hundreds of feet from ground level, as he is able to scale walls like a squirrel into a room that has no interior entryway. This is used to the plot's advantage several times. Lee seems more lethal than ever. Jenny Hanley, the primary female character, is simply one of the most gorgeous of all the Hammer women (if you don't want your bubble burst, avoid watching the included documentary, in which an aged and filled-out Hanley talks about her experiences on the film). There is a nice role for Hammer regular Michael Ripper, who I have always felt was underrated. Michael Gwynne (REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN) has an odd role as a preacher who reacts in contradictory ways while trying to help the lead actor. And Patrick Troughton (DR. WHO, SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER) has an extended part as Dracula's abused lackey. His back-and-forth alliancing provides some absorbing plot points.

The recent UK Studiocanal release looks pretty damned gorgeous to my eyes. It has a real Technicolor look (check out the reds), contains film-like grain, and has good contrast, sharpness, shadow detail and flesh tones. I just can't see much to complain about, but then, I'm not into the technical specs as deeply as some experts here. The sound is 2.0 Dolby Digital, and sounds clear as it needs to be. The aspect ratio is 1.66:1 (my favorite film image shape). Extras are: "Blood Rites: Inside Scars Of Dracula" documentary and the theatrical trailer. Quite unfortunately, the wonderful commentary by director Roy Ward Baker and actor Christopher Lee that appeared on the Anchor Bay DVD has not been included here.

The disc is Region B-locked. A PAL DVD is also included.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm a true Christopher Lee/Dracula/Hammer fan, although I have avoided and will continue to avoid DRACULA A.D. 1972, because

The one truly excellent feature of Dracula AD 72 is Stephanie Beacham's cleavage! :) (My apologies in advance to Mr.Teller!)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Scars looks Excellent ! I got Dr. J and Sister H today also looks Excellent ! Waiting for Horror of Frankenstein to come. Dracula A.D. and Satanic Rites I would love to have on Bluray. If WB ever decides to release them.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Scars of Dracula on Blu-Ray is simply a great experience as its always been my fave Hammer movies and the transfer is simply superb so well done to them for bringing this Blu-ray magic to our home screens big or small.

Satanic rights is a bit of an issue as still no Blu-Ray so at present I'm still watching the Laserdisc but perhaps one day....

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've zero personal interest in the two Lee/Hammer Dracula's that are set in modern times (DRACULA A.D. 1972 & THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA). The five Gothic period films are all that matter to me. But, for those who champion the two final Dracula films in the Hammer series, I hope they get a release.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
We do already have Drac A.D.1972 on Blu-Ray and its great released in 2016 certainly worth having. The stumbling block seems to be with Satanic Rights of Drac with previous cut versions about on DVD the yardstick here has always been the Laserdisc. However the great hope fingers crossed is that Warner Bros who hold the rights will bring this forward on Blu-Ray soon and complete would be nice.:thumbs-up-smiley:

DSC02339.JPG

cannon1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
In addition, an Anolis Entertainment rep. has reported they have secured the rights from Warner Bros. to all of their Hammer Draculas through AD 1972, these are available from Amazon Germany and contain removable German subtitles. They will be releasing the balance of them, having already released the 1958 original Dracula in December, starting in April. They contain their own featurette and bonus material. In addition they are really wanting to secure The Satanic Rites of Dracula for a release also. Here is the video they have put out promoting these forthcoming Draculas:

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Interesting to read although all the Chris Lee Hammer Draculas are already available with the exception of Satanic Rights which fingers crossed we may get complete and complete the set.
www.studio-hamburg-enterprises.de already distribute Dracula A.D. 1972 on Blu-ray as shown in my picture with English sound track option.
Happy days!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks