Underpowered?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by TrevorBerg, Feb 10, 2004.

1. TrevorBerg

TrevorBerg Auditioning

I recently bought a Onkyo TX-SR501 Receiver and hooked it up to my KLH 9250B floor standing speakers. They have a 12" woofer and are 250watts. ( I know they aren't the best speakers, but I got an incredible deal on them) I'm still saving up for a good subwoofer so I'd like these speakers to put out some decent bass, but they put out very little bass. I have the crossover set to the lowest setting on my receiver 60hz. I've adjusted everything i can think of but nothing seems to work. I assume it puts out little bass due to the crossover being 60, is there anything I can do to get more bass from these speakers, or is the problem that they are underpowered? Thanks in advance.

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Set them to large instead of small. They may be inefficient speakers. 60 Hz is pretty low, they should still be putting out decent bass.

3. TrevorBerg

TrevorBerg Auditioning

I don't think there is a setting for that on my receiver, anyway I didn't see it in the manual.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I would look again at the manual. Maybe they don't call it "small or large" but AFAIK most HT receivers have that feature. it is pretty standard. Give the speakers a chance to break in too and (it may seem simple but I made this mistake) make sure the bass knob on the receiver is turned up and not "off" I keep it pretty flat but when I got new speaker the knob must have got hit because my speaker that I just paid 1200$ sounded like crap. I then looked at the receiver and saw that the bass was turned off and the treble was way up. What a difference a little turn made [​IMG]!!