What's new

Under powered receiver? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I've got a Pioneer VSX-D309 hooked upto a pair of Axiom M3tis as front speakers. Am I in danger of underpowering & clipping these (excellent) speaker? The D309 is rated at 60watts per channel.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
If set to large and pushed to reference, possibly.

How efficient are the Ax's?

Stereo only? How loud do you listen, for how long, and to what?

Don't worry too much, you'd have to go pretty loud, but still....

- CM

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
How efficient are the Ax's? Stereo only? How loud do you listen, for how long, and to what? Don't worry too much, you'd have to go pretty loud, but still....
We've got the Axioms as front speakers, and a pair of cheap KLH speakers as rears for the moment.

Really do not listen to them loud at all - we're in an apartment, and I don't like to annoy the neighbours. I've no idea how to judge the volume - I'm new to this I'm afraid.

The info from the Axiom website is:

Max Amp Power (Watts): 175

Freq Resp +/-3db (Hz): 50-22K

Impedance (Ohms): 8

Room Sens 1w/1m (db): 93

So far, we've mostly been using them in 'midnight mode' which compresses the frequencies - as we've no subwoofer, it sounds MUCH better. Is this a Bad Thing to do?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Not bad at all.

You are in no danger.

You won't believe how loud 'reference' is when you finally hear it measured. Seriously.

The only thing I can think of is if you use 'bass boost' or the tone controls heavily you may tax the speakers somewhat, but if the levels are kept sane, you still will be ok.

Your amp is probably not pushing more than 10 watts total at any time.

Have Fun!

- CM

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Phew. If it's any guidance - on the receiver's volume control, we /never/ go higher than -35db. Usually around -45db.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks