What's new

UHF Antenna problem (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I was curious if anyone has encountered a similar problem.

I have a cheap Terk antenna in the attic to recieve several local HD feeds. It was hooked up and working perfectly fine. But last week I went to watch "Lost" on one of those channels, but I recieved no feed (picture or sound). My first assumption was that the antenna had somehow gotten unplugged or a cable became loose. I went up and checked and everything was fine, so I then tried to re-possition it, still nothing. I will get a good antenna once the rest of my roof gets done probably next year. But for now, is there anything I forgot to check or anything? has this happened to anyone else before? Its pretty mentally frustrating to not know what is wrong.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Yes with digital signals, that happens. With analog when there is bad enough reception you will still see something. I had a station cutting in and out since I get HD-TV from 2 cities and this particular station was in a slightly different direction. I stuck a second antenna up in the attic for it ($21-22 Channel Master outdoor 4-Bay UHF bow tie) and an A/B switch downstairs so I can go back and forth. You do lose perhaps about 25% of the signal in the attic give or take a little. antennaweb.org gives you good info on where the broadcast towers are. I have an antenna pre-amp on the main VHF/UHF antenna to amplify the actual signal (vs. a distribution amp) and have another one laying around and may eventually play with it on the other antenna to see if it improves signal strength vs. adding more noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks