Twin Peaks pilot DVD from Republic Entertainment? Any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mr. Brian, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Mr. Brian

Mr. Brian Stunt Coordinator

I've seen this DVD mentioned here before, and was wondering what the picture and sound quality were like? I've seen it for around $20 on ebay, and at that price I would pick it up if it's decent. Also, does this DVD have the tacked on ending that's on the VHS version? Finally, what are the chances that a new DVD version of the pilot would be released for region 1? Are there still legal issues about this?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    ------------------

2. Michael St. Clair

A slick, convincing bootleg, IMHO.

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

It's not a bootleg AFAIK. I'm top bidder on one right now that should end tomorrow. Once I get it, I'll post a mini-review.
    ------------------
    DVDs | CDs
    "While the police are at it, they should find out where my intern is. I asked for those copies 20 minutes ago!"

4. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

It's a bootleg. The description says it will be shipped from Hong Kong.
    good luck.

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Really? It does? That's funny. When I look at the auction I bid on, the seller is from New York. Do you know for a fact that it's a boot? Is everything from Hong Kong a bootleg? [​IMG]
    Here's a pretty good thread from DVDTalk.com that has a review or two of the disc. Scroll down to the review near the bottom: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=124686

6. Michael St. Clair

It's actually a (pressed in) Taiwan disc, and in Taiwan there is no real enforcement of this kind of thing (labels there regularly release titles without permission of the rightsholders, and nothing is done about it). Discs from Taiwan are getting more professional looking packaging all the time, and they use (without permission) real studio logos on the packaging. It's an all-region disc, something that western motion picture studios do not permit. It's an NTSC disc of a PAL broadcast master. People, it's a bootleg. Pretend it's not all you want, but it is a bootleg.
    The disc is legal...in Taiwan, where there are no copyright laws to speak of.

7. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

It's not a bootleg. (Well, if you can be sure based on what little you've typed, so can I! [​IMG]) I'm not insisting it isn't, but it's clear you are not aware of all the facts:
    Catalyst Logic (the company that makes the DVD -- see their website here: http://www.catalystlogic.com.tw
    [Edited last by John CW on July 29, 2001 at 05:14 PM]

8. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I can also comfirm it is not a bootleg. It's a legit license. The thing to remember about this is that the transfer is not all that hot. It's mildly superior to VHS, so don't cry if you cannot get a copy..
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

9. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

10. Michael St. Clair

Of course the company is a legitmate company, bootlegging is legitimate business in Taiwan!

11. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

12. MilesH

MilesH Stunt Coordinator

13. Michael St. Clair

Organized piracy is still absolutely rampant in Taiwan, with any token displays of enforcement being simple attempts to appease the WTO. Millions of discs without SID codes still ship out of Taiwan every year, and everyone knows it. The Twin Peaks release in question does not even include the standard 'DvD' logo as mandated by the DVD Forum for all licensed DVD releases!
    If this is a licensed Warner Brothers release, when did the studio start supplying PAL broadcast masters for authoring NTSC discs? When did Warner Brothers or any other western studio start licensing region-free releases that are not officially distributed in the west?

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Sort of on a side issue, how did Warner end up with the rights to the pilot anyway? How did it get separated from the rest of the series??? [​IMG]
    The article cited may not exactly support the fact that Catalyst Logic is (apparently) releasing the disc, but it also does point up the fact that there ARE INDEED legitimate licenses for DVDs from the major studios for product made in Taiwan, including Warner. So just the fact that it's Taiwanese, though it ought to raise red flags, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bootleg. The distinction between Warner Bros. records and Warner Home Video doesn't bother me at all; these are journalists, not home video fanboys with time to obsess about such details, working under deadline and probably working in a second language, and this isn't a hugely important distinction considering they're all the same huge conglomerate.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
    [Edited last by Mark Zimmer on July 31, 2001 at 09:36 AM]

15. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Precisely. The argument for is definitely weaker than the argument against. Why does Mr St.Clair keep skipping around the obvious issues?
    All I have ever said is that the article indicates that Catalyst Logic are a legitimate company... a point he keeps pretending not to have read: Because he never addresses it!
    Also my point as to the unending sales of said DVD on eBay (unlike Indiana Jones, Back to the Future and Star Wars discs which have all been stopped by their copyright holders) despite Warner being emailed about it?
    Why doesn't he address this?
    For the record my DVD also comes with a nice CL hologram on the cover... have bootleggers started trying to authenticate their *own* releases now??
    Any answer which covers all of the above points is welcome!
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. Michael St. Clair

quote: Precisely. The argument for is definitely weaker than the argument against. Why does Mr St.Clair keep skipping around the obvious issues?[/quote]
    Absolutely not.
    Evidence that release is not 'legitimate':
    1. No 'DvD' logo, as mandated by the DVD Forum.
    2. NTSC release sourced from PAL master
    3. Region-Free
    4. Studio logo and verbage is for the long-defunct 'Republic Pictures'.
    For whatever reasons, you seem insistent upon ignoring this evidence.
    As far as this claim of Catalyst Logic being a 'legitimate company', that is completely subjective and much pirated material in asia is released by 'legitimate companies'.
    Please list the evidence that the release is legitimate.
    Anybody have a good contact at Warner Bros for confirmation?
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on July 31, 2001 at 10:18 AM]

18. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

19. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

20. Michael St. Clair