What's new

Twin 1804 IB up and running! Need some BFD suggestions! (1 Viewer)

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Gotcha Chris.........thats what I figured.
You will definetely have need more power as I am
sure those are every bit (and more) as hungry as
a 1503 is.

Gotta love that LOW stuff!! :D

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Thomas, Digital Designs mainly make car audio subs but I know they are virtually industructable and have pretty extreme amounts of xmax. one competetor in DBdragracing actually hit over 170db with only 1 10" 9510 driver and around 6000wrms of power going to it. here is a link www.ddaudio.com

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Okay, yeap they're pretty much limited to car specific applications.

I think my mother used to yell louder than 170dB when she was really p*ssed .... :wink:

There are some new MEGA subs in the works. Most of the details are pretty hush, hush at this point. My guess is that CES will be VERY interesting this year .....
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Thomas, that is good to hear because one thing that has been bothering me and maby the main reason why i might opt not to increase power at this point is that until a really good option for an 18" IB driver comes on the market that is still at a somewhat sane price I would be out of luck if somthing happened to one of my 1804's.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Have to ask Kyle about service. I imagine that RE can recone them since they built them.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
hmmm, honestly I had not even considered that possibility. I just assumed since it was a limited run and they were going away forever that the drivers basically didnt have any kind of warrenty. Maby Kyle might chim in later on today and give some insight. If they could be reconed then that would make me feel much more comfortable in going ahead with an amp upgrade.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Just run them into the ground and when they are fried buy the latest and greatest 18"er to replace them .

Believe me...as an ex-bass head I know...once you get these bass urges out of you then you can sit down and enjoy your system as a whole.

The reason I say this is because if a few hundred watts and 2 1804s are not satifying you then you either your HT is the size of a gym or you have a bass head problem.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
well see that is the thing, i have no problem with the amount of output. that is why i am really wondering if the amp upgrade would be needed and it would also help ensure i dont hurt the drivers. They are getting around 300wrms a piece right now and it looks like they could take that clear down to below 10hz before they woudl exceed xmax. So it is kinda a win win situation for me right now. Turst me, i have gottne the bass head in me out a long time ago ahah here is the SUV that I drove daily for about 2 years........
Front view is of 4 15" drivers in a 25 cube wall style enclosure

Second is of the fiberglass amp rack with four 1500wrms @ 2ohm amps for a total of 6000wrms

it was capable of doing over 155db at the dash anywhere from 30 - 50hz all day long. All designed and installed by yours truly ;)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

When Cam thought he toasted his 1503, Kyle quoted him ~$100 or so + shipping for a recone.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
That is great! hopefully if I ever need it an 1804 recone wont be to much more. with the way that these things are built though i would think you would have to try pretty hard to really get one to go on you.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
As long as the soft parts are available then a recone isnt a problem. The reason the Blueprints are being phased out is because the last of the 03 series motors have been built up but a lot of the soft parts are interchangeable (but not all).

Chris, only you can make the call whether the amp upgrade is needed or not. If you are reaching the SPL levels that you want then I see no reason to get a bigger amplifier. I only run ~380 watts to my 1804 and I'm perfectly happy with the SPL levels I'm reaching. Can it take much more? Yep, but if I'm happy with 380 watts why add another 600?

Chris Brock

Second Unit
thanks kyle. i basically have the same feeling as you do. I am really amazed with the amount of clean output that I am getting from my current setup. I spent a good bit of time monitoring the amp while I was playing things at what would be the maxium level I would play them and have only seen the amp's peak light one time. And I had it cranked up on purpose just to get a peak SPL number. I still have to say that I am very satisfied with the performance of my Nady amp and I would still recommend it without hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks