What's new

Twilight Time Announces Releases Sept/Oct/Nov, 2013 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
Sorry I wasn't clear - TT is releasing a blu-ray of Violent Saturday - that's what the poster I was responding to was talking about. Wasn't talking about the DVD at all - that was from their self-admitted learning curve and they learned quickly not to do that again. The transfer on the Carlotta is very nice just as that very same transfer will be very nice on the TT blu-ray release. The poster to whom I was responding was gleefully cheering how much cheaper it is to get the Carlotta blu-ray - I don't consider five or six bucks that much "cheaper."
Then it will be mine when it comes out from them.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
What's remarkable is that it was just two plus years ago that Twilight Time started its operations -- as a DVD company. I remember the thrill I had on first reading an article about it in the L.A.Times. I vowed to buy every release, and said as much in my online comment on the Times site -- which I also think was the only comment the article received. (Never did understand that!) Violent Saturday was, what, the third or fourth release? - and what a surprise when it turned out to be letterboxed. Talk about yer learning curves! :) Well, I have no problem lining up again for the Blu-ray release, if and when it comes.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I have bought every one of TT's releases, and will double dip for Violent Saturday if it is re-released as a BD.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Charles Smith said:
Violent Saturday was, what, the third or fourth release? - and what a surprise when it turned out to be letterboxed.
According to SAE's product code (TWILIGHT2DVD), Violent Saturday was TT's second release.

And I agree about the timeframe Charles...that's quite a swath of catalogue territory to have covered so successfully in a scant 2 years.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
Bruce,

I'm not buying neither, but to be fair in this case, Violent Saturday DVD from TT is a non-anamorphic presentation of a CinemaScope film. That little nugget is why I haven't bought that title from TT. As to the French release, I never heard of that company so I'm not sure of the PQ of that BD so I won't be buying that release either. I can only hope that TT or Fox revisit this title for a BD release and do so with a proper widescreen presentation that is not 4 x 3 letterbox. Also, the TT DVD is 19.95 plus shipping which is cheaper than the French BD in my estimate.
I do have the French BRD of Violent Saturday and I confirm that kingof the jungle's assessment is spot on. This is brilliant BRD. The only downside to the French BRD is that it is Zone B locked.

I take it for granted that a future Twilight Time BRD will be from the same transfer plus a music-only soundtrack.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have Violent Saturday on blu-ray and it is obviously cheaper for those of us who live in Europe to buy it from Carlotta. At the time it was released TT had not (have not) announced their release and you have to buy from where it is available if it is a favourite title (Daddy Long Legs, Against All Flags, many others) because you may have to wait years (if at all) for a title to be released in your jurisdiction.

If TT include other extras in their release I may well buy again.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Drums Along The Mohawk will be my first TT purchase. One thing I enjoy about the movie is the time period. Not too many movies that take place in colonial times. About The Other, saw this when I was a kid and it really creeped me out. This may sound weird but even today I'm hesitant to watch it again even though I'm sure it wouldn't affect me the same. The only scene I remember is the one that involves a pitchfork.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Everett Stallings said:
Also "Ash Wednesday"
I'd love that one, too, but I'm thinking Olive would release that since it's a Paramount title?Along with "Raintree County", it's another of Elizabeth's films that wasn't even released on DVD.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Moe Dickstein said:
I hear Raintree County needs some specialized restoration before it could be released...
Considering it was shot in 70mm Ultra-Panavision, that process is going to be both costly and lengthy, probably on the order of what Warner did with "Ben-Hur"...

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Everett Stallings said:
This is the one I rode across town to see, only to find the print never showed up!!! City bus rides are no fun.
Reminds me of my birthday when I wanted to see a matinee of Costner's WYATT EARP. The bus was 20 minutes late and then when it finally came it drove right by me! To add insult to injury, there was an ad for WYATT EARP on the side of the bus.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Regarding the French blu-ray of Violent Saturday, is it hardsubbed? If not, I'll probably go after it as well.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Professor Echo said:
I'll probably get the French edition then as I have a personal aversion to supporting TT's business model.
This kind of personal aversion is just head-scratching to me, but whatever works for you is obviously what works for you.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
lukejosephchung said:
Considering it was shot in 70mm Ultra-Panavision, that process is going to be both costly and lengthy, probably on the order of what Warner did with "Ben-Hur"...
Re: Raintree County. WB probably is working on 35mm as I'm sure they wouldn't go through the expense of a 'Ben-Hur' on such a lesser known film as Raintree County.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Professor Echo said:
I'll probably get the French edition then as I have a personal aversion to supporting TT's business model.
That's fine if one wants to save some money(and most of us certainly like doing that...) but....TT is run by film lovers who truly enjoy what they are doing. For every 'Oliver!' which will probably sell out they release such titles as a Bite the Bullet or Desiree which will sit on the shelf for years to come. I really don't understand the 'public' outcry I've been reading concerning their releases and prices. I shake my head every time I read that someone wishes they fail or won't purchase a title because they disagree with their business model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks