Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases July-August 2013

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 2, 2013.

1. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    As I've said, The Disappearance is really interesting, looks great, and is one of Donald Sutherland's best films.

2. aHorseofCourse

Wilbur Post
    Just popped my copy of "Major Dundee" in the player for a quick look at the first disc. First impressions are very good - nice detail and colour in the few scenes I saw. Made me remember just how much I like the film, warts and all…

3. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Screen Archives say fewer than 50 copies of The Egyptian Blu-ray remain.

I've just placed my pre-order for Leave Her To Heaven. I'll be glad to replace the lacklustre DVD.

4. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I'm looking forward to ordering The Driver and Body Double--never thought I'd see them on blu-ray! I'm at home with a fever today and I finally made my first order from TT/Screen Gems (Major Dundee, The Fury, Experiment in Terror). I took a bit of a risk in not selecting the $35 shipping option (Are shipments to Canada really lost frequently? I live in a city of 1.2 million, not a remote fur trading post. Hell, I hope my illness doesn't cost me my order.). Assuming my current order arrives, I will happily order many of the July/August titles!

5. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    From TT's Facebook:
    Is there anyone here who is familiar with the look of the film? How accurate were the DVDs to what was originally intended? Some people on the net are already starting to give worried looks, but if the older transfer was way off base this announcement can only be a good thing.

6. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    If Steven Burum is doing it, then it will be right. What's the problem? It always puzzles me when people want something that's wrong, just cause it's what they're used to...

ROclockCK, JoHud and bujaki like this.
  7. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    Like NotLD was? Personally I'm not worried at all, I presume he's making it look how it should. But let's not pretend it's out of the realm of possibility some DPs or directors may get an inkling to reinvent the way a film looks (French Connection?)

8. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Veryhappy to see Leave Her to Heaven getting a Blu ray incarnation .. but sad it's on Twilight Time, which means maximum bucks for a bare-bones release. Add international postage to Australia, and these 'limited' releases really make me think twice about ordering.

9. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

"Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Audio Commentary with actor Darryl Hickman and critic Richard Schickel / Movietone News Footage / Original Theatrical Trailer"

10. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Screenwriter

Koroush Ghazi
    I'm in Australia and have no qualms at all ordering from TT. Just wait until you have 2-3 BDs lined up before ordering, and you won't pay a huge amount in postage. I ordered Experiment in Terror along with Leave Her to Heaven, and postage came to $12 for the pair. I also skipped the added $15 "insurance" option as I normally do. It's not a huge price to pay for great movies on Blu.

11. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    No one should think twice about Leave Her to Heaven. I got a sneak peek at it yesterday and it looks pretty terrific. I don't think it's much of a secret that the camera negative doesn't exist anymore, so the restoration that was done was done of an internegative. But there's nothing wrong with that and the result is beautiful, I thought, at least the sections I saw (I skimmed through most of it, and, of course, had to stop and have my breath taken away every time Gene Tierney was on camera). The detail at times is astonishing - you can actually see the texture of the paper during the main titles, and Miss Tierney's close-ups are worth the price of the disc. The color looks great. The opticals are, of course, opticals and look like - opticals. Can't wait to settle in and watch all of it start to finish, but I was very happy with what I saw.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Thank you for your comments as I almost forgot to preorder this title.

13. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    As critical as I've been at times of high priced, bare bones, boutique label releases, I do highly recommend THE EGYPTIAN to anyone on the fence. Though it was more stagy than I remembered from seeing it on the big screen in the 90's, it is still a 50's epic that deserves to be seen in the best possible way and TT's Blu Ray serves that well. I had no issues with the quality of the release and fully expected it to sell out long before now, but given the price and the generally negative reputation of the film itself, it didn't really kick start the non-converts. But for anyone who believes as I do that Blu Ray is the savior of that wonderful period of E P I C filmmaking in the 50's and early 60's, it's a must have.

ROclockCK and Robin9 like this.
  14. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    The Blu-ray of The Egyptian has sold out. There are DVD copies still available.

15. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    I was basing my recommendation on Post #43 above from April 20 saying there were copies still left. I didn't know they had sold out since then. In any case, the rest of my post still has merit, I hope. :D

16. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    In that case, either Screen Archives' email to me was incorrect or they sold 50 copies in the past few days.

17. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Thank you. I'm very glad to hear that. Gene Tierney always leaves me cold but I will carefully examine her close-ups! I will also scrutinize Jeanne Crain's close-ups. She has never left me cold!

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    It was not and they did.I'm pretty sure the email said less then fifty left anyway.

19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I suspect once it become known that there were only a few dozen copies left, the Ebay scalpers snapped them up for their own purposes.

20. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    People have had plenty of time to buy the blu-ray. I am pleased another title has sold out (although with no help from me) because it helps support some of the titles I have bought which have been less popular.