What's new

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases July-August 2013 (1 Viewer)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
That this TT title sold out at $40 a pop when it was concurrently available from TWO sources in BD, from France (Sidonis) and Denmark (SoulMedia), is nothing short of a miracle. I like to hope that these wonderful lavish wide-screen historical epics are really more popular than the powers that be seem to think they are. But, for those who'd still like THE EGYPTIAN in blu-ray, you'll find the Danish one for EU 16 from Amazon UK (or from the US company DaaVeeDee) and the French one for EU 20 from Amazon.fr. A region-free player is necessary, of course, but how can any real classic film buff be without one in this day and age? I've got several of the SoulMedia BDs, and they are really nice and guaranteed not to have sub-title "problems". I do hope TT does get around to KHARTOUM , STORY OF RUTH and PRINCE OF PLAYERS someday.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Ed Lachmann said:
That this TT title sold out at $40 a pop when it was concurrently available from TWO sources in BD, from France (Sidonis) and Denmark (SoulMedia), is nothing short of a miracle. I like to hope that these wonderful lavish wide-screen historical epics are really more popular than the powers that be seem to think they are. But, for those who'd still like THE EGYPTIAN in blu-ray, you'll find the Danish one for EU 16 from Amazon UK (or from the US company DaaVeeDee) and the French one for EU 20 from Amazon.fr. A region-free player is necessary, of course, but how can any real classic film buff be without one in this day and age? I've got several of the SoulMedia BDs, and they are really nice and guaranteed not to have sub-title "problems". I do hope TT does get around to KHARTOUM , STORY OF RUTH and PRINCE OF PLAYERS someday.
Where is all of this stuff about Khartoum coming from? It's an MGM/UA title and unless TT strikes a deal with them it will not be released. I contacted TT to ask about Prince of Players and they said that it was not in suitable shape for release. That probably means that Fox hasn't created an HD master and it could also mean that it may become a P&S MOD.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Someone mentioned KHARTOUM in relation to TT in a post here some years ago, which obviously I believed. Just one on the wish list. Really posted to let folks know that they can still get a BD of THE EGYPTIAN for a fairly decent price. But, I really hope that TT DOES make a deal with MGM/UA, I mean, talk about classic film blu-ray underachievers!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Well, Glen, I'm afraid not much in way of extras. One friend has the SoulMedia EGYPTIAN BD and I believe he said there was a trailer, nothing else. As for the Sidonis French one, I'm afraid I only know that it exists. I'm a bit careful of the French releases after my non-removeable sub problem with EXODUS. I can tell you that the SoulMedia BDs are of high quality image-wise, and the subs are easily removed. I have many, including ALEXANDER THE GREAT, THE LION IN WINTER and DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK. Very pleased with them all.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
All very well, but...

...in addition to including Alain Silver and James Ursini's incisive feature-length Commentary...plus Herrmann-Newman's rare collaborative score in isolated form...plus Julie Kirgo's entertaining and insightful liner essay...Twilight Time was the only label allowed access to the 2010 Fox HD rescan and remaster of The Egyptian.

So let's see...a top tier collector showcase vs. make-do product with iffier A/V specs and packaging. Decisions. Decisions. ;)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
ROclockCK said:
All very well, but...

...in addition to including Alain Silver and James Ursini's incisive feature-length Commentary...plus Herrmann-Newman's rare collaborative score in isolated form...plus Julie Kirgo's entertaining and insightful liner essay...Twilight Time was the only label allowed access to the 2010 Fox HD rescan and remaster of The Egyptian.

So let's see...a top tier collector showcase vs. make-do product with iffier A/V specs and packaging. Decisions. Decisions. ;)
Have you watched either of the two European discs? If not, then why do you describe them as "make-do products"?

Let's now turn this round the other way. In France there is a splendid BRD of Violent Saturday and, it is rumored, Fox has offered the same transfer to Twilight Time. The French disc has an extended "extra" featuring William Friedkin. This appears to be a Carlotta production, nothing to do with Fox. So if Twilight Time do release Violent Saturday, they probably will not have the William Friedkin "extra". Which will be the "make-do product"?

For anyone who believes that only USA Blu-ray discs are worth buying, there was a simple solution with The Egyptian: buy it before it sold out!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Moe Dickstein said:
If the foreign releases have an older transfer and no extras, then yeah they are make-do releases lol
. . . and do you have any reason to believe that for a mid-50s film Fox made a low quality HD transfer two years ago and then a new high quality HD transfer a year or so later?

We all know that under pressure Fox eventually made a second transfer of Patton, a high profile, high earning movie. Is there any reason to imagine they would do the same for low profile, mostly forgotten films of the 1950s?

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robin9 said:
. . . and do you have any reason to believe that for a mid-50s film Fox made a low quality HD transfer two years ago and then a new high quality HD transfer a year or so later?

We all know that under pressure Fox eventually made a second transfer of Patton, a high profile, high earning movie. Is there any reason to imagine they would do the same for low profile, mostly forgotten films of the 1950s?
Apparently, nobody was more surprised than TT's Nick Redman, as excerpted here from Jeffrey Kauffman's interview:
Well this is just one of around 100 Fox titles we licensed and frankly I was amazed that they let us have it. In fact I kept having recurring nightmares they were going to come to their senses and tell us they had made a mistake. The fascinating thing is Fox had not one, but two, HD masters for the film, one from 2005 and another from 2010! They had recorded a commentary in 2005 which we're releasing on Twilight Time, so it's obvious at one point they must have had plans to release a Blu-ray themselves, but that never happened.
Of course, Twilight Time would be your final word on this, but that's what has been published on the subject.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The transfer used before TT was not done at the time but is far older, done for FXM. The TT transfer is definitely superior. Do you have both releases?

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
There's been a little discussion in this thread about the numbers Blu-ray Disc are expected to sell, and whether we're going to see titles dry up.

A few days ago in the UK Arrow announced it was releasing a Blu-ray Disc of The Last American Virgin. Remember that? No, hardly anyone does. It was a quasi-remake of Lemon Popsicle. It failed to cause the cinema chart statisticians too much work at the time of its release (the early '80s), and frankly has hardly gained a cult following since.

If The Last American Virgin can sell enough to warrant a European release, there's hope for pretty much any film, I think.

Steve W

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have Violent Saturday from France and The Tall Men and Against All Flags from Germany, all good transfers and favourite films of mine. The point I am making is that you have to buy the titles you like when and from whom they are available. If these titles are released by other distributors with different transfers and extras I will then decide whether to buy again. In the meantime I am able to enjoy them now.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
ROclockCK said:
Apparently, nobody was more surprised than TT's Nick Redman, as excerpted here from Jeffrey Kauffman's interview:

Of course, Twilight Time would be your final word on this, but that's what has been published on the subject.
Thank you. Fair enough, I stand corrected. I admit I'm astonished that Fox found it worthwhile to make two transfers of a not widely admired film from the mid 1950s.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Moe Dickstein said:
The transfer used before TT was not done at the time but is far older, done for FXM. The TT transfer is definitely superior. Do you have both releases?
No, I have only the Twilight Time disc. But Ed Lachmann has stated in post 61 above that his Soul Media discs are good so I have no reason to assume that their disc of The Egyptian is poor. I don't even know which transfer they used.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks for the information, Ed!

I have the German Blu of THE TALL MEN and it's fantastic, so if TT ever does get around to that one, it will be without me on board. The trailer is one extra I do appreciate being on there, but I can do without liner notes and an isolated score if it means I can get an excellent transfer for less money than TT charges. I very much appreciate the input from Ed and Keith and others about these foreign releases.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'm a big fan of THE LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN and plan to get the Arrow disc. It definitely has a cult among folks who were teens back then, like myself.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Thanks, I'll order this right now. I hope somebody lets us know the Regioness of WESTERN UNION which is out soon in Germany from, I believe, the same company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks