What's new

TV's placed over a fireplace (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone had any experience with placing a tv, good or bad, over a fireplace? My wife and I are thinking about placing either and LCD or Plasma on the wall over a gas fireplace, but we are nervous about whether this will cause any damage to the tv or not.

If anyone can give me any advice or can help in anyway, it would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
It should be good as a lot of other people have been doing it. We're also looking into this as our 65" behemoth dominate the family room. A cool looking 50" or so LCD or DLP would fit better atop the fireplace mantle.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
We've had our plasma mounted over the fireplace (wood burning) for almost two years with no problems. I made sure that there was no significant temperature rise above the mantle after having a fire burning all day before I mouinted the plasma.

We actually only use our fireplace occasionally on weekends, usually when we are being couch potatos.

-Steve

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your help, it helps me make my decision. I was worried whether the fireplace would have an effect on the tv, with me spending anywhere from $3000 - $5000 I want to do as much research in reference to this as possible.

;)

While I think it looks really cool to put a plasma over a fireplace, I wouldn't do it. Looking at my fireplace mantel, I think it would be too high for comfortable viewing. Do you really want to look up that high for two or three hours? I have my 42 inch Panasonic on a stand custom made for it, where the wires are all easily accessible (but not visable)for component swap outs and upgrades, and the picture is comfortably at eye level when I sit in one of my matching leather swivel recliner chairs. All of my components sit on glass shelves immediately beneath the screen. Above the fireplace looks good visually on the home decorating shows, but I just don't think it's practical.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
I've had my 50" plasma above our fireplace for a couple of months (and many movies) now and I love it. The room it's in joins with the kitchen and we wanted to be able to watch TV while I cook. (Give my wife a microwave and she's happy, but I'd starve) The way our room is laid out, we would have been lucky to squeaze a 32" CRT in the corner, so we waited, saved, planned and planned some more to do the plasma. Temperature wise, I did a simple test.

I stoked an absolutely roaring fire for a couple of hours and then used a simple thermometer to check temps at several spots where the screen would go. Typically, the mantle and surround help to direct the heat into the room, so very little heat rises directly upward. I don't recall what the numbers were, but the entire area was perfectly cool to the touch.

As far as the height, it took very little time to get used to...not uncomfortable in the slightest. And talk about a WOW factor when friends and family walk into the room for the first time.

Couple of things you really need to plan for.

1. You definitely want to get a tilting mount. I used the Omnimount U3 Tilt Plasma Mount. It's extremely sturdy and was very easy to install using the included template. It's different from other mounts that I've seen in that the others essentially lean the top of the screen out. The Omnimount pivots the entire screen so you end up with the unit hugging the wall more. Directing the screen down just makes sense, but also helps prevent reflections from light sources.

2. Cables-never forget that the cables have to go somewhere. You'll be kicking yourself if you go to all of the trouble and expense of a plasma and then have the cables uglying up the place.

If you buy a unit that has a media reciever like my Pioneer, it helps as there are only two cables...the media receiver cable (actually 2 cables combined) and power. We had a drywaller create a small inset above our fireplace. Then we used paneling and trim to hide the cables going into the drywall...across to the right into a built-in bookcase. There's essentially a giant picture frame surrounding the screen. All of the paneling and trim are stained to match the built-ins. Then I ran a Hotlink Pro IR repeater, so there's absolutely nothing showing but the plasma.

3. Ventillation

It was a lot of work, but I'm really happy with the way the project turned out. Putting the screen above the fireplace started out as a solution to a room layout problem, but it ended up an excellent (if not entirely dedicated) Home Theater.

Good Luck!

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin

Like Paul said, what you should check is the temperature rise at different points were your TV will go. At the top remember to check several inches away from the wall since your TV will probably be angled toward the room.

Paul,Steve

Be careful, wood burning inevitably produces soot. That nice smell that comes with a fire in the fireplace is an indication that combustion gases are not all vented thru the chimney. Over time, maybe years, a yellow film will build up on your screen.

Rick_B

Auditioning
Hope I can restart this thread because it is very helpful.

I too plan on mounting a flat panel above a fireplace. In my case it's a gas insert so I'm not as concerned about the heat.

The way our living room is configured (long and narrow) there are few other options.

My question revolves around the mounting hardware. It sounds like a great idea to use the Omnimount FP-CL cantilever mount. It holds, 80lbs, more than enough for a 32" LCD.

My concern is whether the mount can be adjusted on the back of the TV to center it over the fireplace. Since it is dependent upon the location of a stud I don't want an off center wall mounting.

Anyone know if the product can be offset on the back of the set or there is a adapter that can do it.

Otherwise, I guess I'll live with a static mounting.

I welcome your thoughts

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Hey Rick.

The UCL cantilever version of the Omnimount does have some horizontal adjustment where the arm mounts to the bracket on the wall. I'm using one with a 42" LG in my bedroom. It involves removing the bracket from the wall, removing the bolts and choosing a different set of holes to bolt the arm to the wall bracket. The adapter for the back of the screen itself was a seperate option, so order carefully. I don't see where the the FPCL has the same wall plate. That may be a seperate option, but without that you're limited to where the studs fall (unless you feel like tearing into the wall to add supports). In my living room, (check the link to my HT page) I used the U3 Tilt Mount . Unless you think you're going to need to swing the screen out in addition to tilting it, there's no reason to use the cantilever. I used in in our bedroom because the bed doesn't directly face the wall where the plasma is mounted.

The U3 Tilt was a snap to install. It comes with a template that allows you to level, locate studs and drill. It doesn't need to be perfectly centered because once the bracket is on the wall, the plasma hangs on 4 horizontal rods and it slides back and fourth to center the screen. Then you lock it in place and you're done. I liked the tilt on this one too because other models essentially lean the screen out from the bottom, where the U3 pivots from the center of the screen. That helps keep it closer to the wall.

I'm not sure why a gas insert makes a difference in the heat department, though. If it's used to heat the room then at least some of that heat has to rise directly in front of the screen. That's really all we're concerned with. Of course, if the fireplace is designed well then the heat should project out into the room. Before we had a new mantle and surround installed, the shallow brick surround let the heat do just that. It won't hurt to do a quick check. If you really do need the cantilever then you'll also be moving the screen closer to the rising heat. Just don't want you to have any problems.

Rick_B

Auditioning
Thanks Paul!

Your info was very helpful.

I'll have to consider the static mount. The cantilever one sounded nice because since we're in a condo I could point the TV toward the kitchen or out to the deck, depending on where we are.

The fireplace is mostly for looks so although it does give off some heat, it is mostly a cosmetic feature.

I have contacted Omnimount for some additional clarification on mounting the cantilever unit.

Thanks again!
Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks