What's new

Step 1: Over Fireplace TV Mount (1 Viewer)

harralwt

Auditioning
Real Name
William
Hello Everyone,

When a longtime roommate finally got a place of his own I took the opportunity, and extra space, to redo my home theater setup. My first step was to mount my television above the fireplace. I wanted to do this for two reasons; 1) it allowed for more seating room (I only had one small couch before and now I have that and a sectional), and 2) the space above the fireplace was the center (focal) point of the room. While researching my options I found a lot of reviews on how this was a bad idea because of neck strain. In an effort to alleviate that I found (Moderator note: LINK REMOVED) who provided a mount to lower the TV to eye level. After going back and forth on whether or not to spend a little extra on such a mount I finally did and, boy, was it worth it.

Dynamic Mounting offered a Down-and-Out Mount which lowers the TV, or one that lowers it AND swivels. Based on my improved seating situation I opted for the non-swivel model. After confirming that I had studs and not masonry (although it works with either), and verifying applicability to my situation, I went for the purchase. I have to say that buying it online was simple and easy and delivery was very fast. Within the week I had my mount and was ready to install.

At first the installation process seemed somewhat daunting. I had mounted plenty of TVs before but this seemed a bit more complicated for some reason. After reading through the Dynamic Mounting installation manual a few times I realized the only added complication was the measurements necessary to 1) clear my mantel, and 2) drop the TV to the appropriate height. Once these measurements were figured out (and they really weren’t that complicated either), the rest of the process followed most similar installs.

First, a bracket is attached to the TV.

10409351_715290561925907_7178715667482322639_n.jpg

10425862_715290548592575_5358077009069212511_n.jpg

Then, the mount, once measured for placement, is secured to the wall using slags.

10011282_715290531925910_6156489452036012041_n.jpg

Due to the fact that the mount uses a counterweight to balance the TV in it’s down-and-out position, the counterweight needed to then be adjusted to handle the TV weight before finally securing the TV to the mount.

10410527_715290518592578_4708059461646899677_n.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

All in all, the process took a few hours where most of the time was spent double-checking my measurements.

I am very pleased with my Dynamic Mounting Down-And-Out-Mount and would highly recommend it to anyone considering such a mounting option. I love how it looks and people are amazed when I drop it down to their eye-level.

My next steps will be to hide the cabling in the wall, and install a Bluetooth and wireless surround audio setup. Here is where I was hoping for the help of others. I have heard mixed reviews about wireless speakers; but I do not have an attic to route wires. Any thoughts or suggestions with regard to these next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Will

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for the info. I have read about these kinds of mounts, but it's nice to hear about actual experiences with installation and use.

In the lowered position, it still seems a bit high for my taste (especially on the manufacturer promo photos). Generally I like my eyeline when seated to be at the middle or one-third from the bottom of the screen. It seems it would only get that low if there were no mantle in the way or were a flush installed fireplace.

Wires for surround speakers can be run along and even tucked into the baseboard. From there you can either run cable behind the wall or use paintable surface raceway. Others here have recommended FlatWire.

harralwt

Auditioning
Real Name
William
The height can be adjusted via the counterweight with a 9/16 wrench. I chose this height as my new couch sits a little higher.

Thanks for the info on flatwire, I'll check that out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Very cool! I came to this thread specifically to warn about strain watching high mounted TVs, glad you were aware and took steps to deal with it!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How many Dynamic Mounting threads does this forum need?

We know you get a discount for posting about it. I would think by now Dynamic Mounting would stop paying for postings here.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ah hell Sam, I didn't know they offered that kind of spiff. Sorry, I will remove the link in the first post and be vigilant about it in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

William: Promotional reviews like this are a tricky thing. Certainly you should have been up front about it, or even better asked for permission to put up what is essentially a sponsored post. That said, you did a great job with the post and I hope you'll stick around HTF for more.

harralwt

Auditioning
Real Name
William
Sounds fair. The company does offer a rebate for reviews and, honestly, I loved the mount and had no issues doing it. Plus, when I researched the product these forum posts were helpful (albeit probably biased). Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks